Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

share same library over two different OS partitions?

I have multiple OS Boot portions of different incarnations of OS X
currently my Yosemite 10.10 disk has a large library of music

I recently installed El Capitan 10.11 to another partition which is far smaller in size.

Copying the library to an external drive is not possible as I don't have enough free space on an external or the El Capitan drive at the moment for that solution

Is it possible for my OS 10.11partitions iTunes to point itself to the library of the OS 10.10 partition without copying files or potentially damaging the 10.10 folder and file contents?

Could I do this... or is this not advised?

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Dual Xeon 2.4, 64 GB RAM

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 6:55 AM

Do not use preferences. If you analyze the preference word by word you will see it does not change a library location, only media.

Move the entire iTunes folder you wish to use to the Users > Shared folder at the top level of your drive. Start each iTunes while holding down the option/alt key and when requested, select the iTunes Library.itl file in the folder you moved.

Warning, both OSX versions will have to be using the same version of iTunes.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 6:55 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Do not use preferences. If you analyze the preference word by word you will see it does not change a library location, only media.

Move the entire iTunes folder you wish to use to the Users > Shared folder at the top level of your drive. Start each iTunes while holding down the option/alt key and when requested, select the iTunes Library.itl file in the folder you moved.

Warning, both OSX versions will have to be using the same version of iTunes.

share same library over two different OS partitions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.