Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

podcast crash iOS 9.0.2

Well, I thought 9.0.2 would fix the podcast app crashing problems I had, but not! With iOS 9, I got message "updating library", then it crashed. Now the podcast app will open and I can see my podcasts, and then in 10-20 seconds it crashes again! Anyone else found this same problem? Anyone have a fix?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 6:32 AM

14 replies

Oct 7, 2015 7:36 AM in response to linda97439

linda97439 - I've been reading other threads here in Apple Support Communities noting your same crashing problems with the Podcasts app. Since updating my iPhone 5 to iOS 9 & 9.0.2, and as much as I'm not happy with this horrible Podcasts update, the app has never crashed on me. Did you try the obvious by rebooting your phone to see if that fixes the problems? I don't know what could be worst, having a crappy app that doesn't work the way it used to or having a crappy app that keeps crashing!?! I'm sure you are frustrated.

Oct 7, 2015 8:55 AM in response to Golden Delicious01

golden delicious01 - thanks for your commiseration. Yes, I did reboot, and then a hard reboot hoping it would fix the problem. Unfortunately the problem still exists. I just don't understand how they could release 9.0.2 stating podcast fix was included, and then instead of being fixed, the problem changed and still I can't play my podcasts!

Oct 9, 2015 11:37 AM in response to PamsS

Same issue.

Constantly crashed at "updating library", I launched it like 20 times until it finished. Finally I thought, it will start to work. Nope. Then I deleted every single podcast I had. Still same problem. App launches. crashes after 10 seconds.

I have noticed if I put it into airplane mode it does not crash. However for an app that needs to download content, that is pretty useless.

Ah well. Here is looking forward to 9.03 (hopefully)

Oct 10, 2015 10:03 AM in response to jozero

Same probelm here, I'm beyond frustrated at this point. I'm ready to move to Android. I'm telling everyone I know to steer clear of Apple until they get their **** together (which isn't looking very likely anytime soon).

This is just...sad. Pathetic even. How the mighty have fallen. They control every aspect of both hardware and software, yet the can no longer even get their own software right (as in, functioning at all). Not to mention they are the single most profitable company in history. There is simply no excuse for this nonsense.

Oct 14, 2015 1:21 PM in response to linda97439

I want to jump on to say this is still happening for me as well! VERY discouraging. Podcasts are what I listen to all day long, and I have been in the works to create a podcast...I do not want my hard work and efforts to be put into a project that may not even be able to reach my consumers. I hope this resolved very soon.

Additionally, podcasts are taking up about 40% of my storage on my phone....and I can't keep the app open long enough to go in and delete some old episodes or ones that aren't of interest. Super frustrating.

I have an iphone 5S as well....not sure if that matters at all.

Oct 19, 2015 3:54 AM in response to linda97439

This problem continues. I listen to podcasts all the time and since updating my 5s to 9.0.2 the user interface has been changed (which I am not thrilled with) and now the app won't stay open for any more than 3-4 seconds. It is very frustrating. The other problem is that my storage is almost full because of the amount of podcasts I listen to, but now I can not access any of them, and I can't delete the app and reload it either. I hope Apple will resolve this problem with a new update 9.0.3 soon, or find some other way to solve this problem.

Oct 19, 2015 4:29 AM in response to Tmotj

For deleting podcasts: if you go into the iPhone's Settings, then Usage & Storage, then Manage Storage, and then select Podcasts, you can select the different podcasts you've downloaded and delete them that way. Of course that doesn't help you actually use the app, but at least it can save your storage.

Also in the Settings app, you may be able to turn off downloading of podcasts, although I've got downloading set to Manual only and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Oct 19, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Lost in Asia

Lost in Asia, Thank you for the tip!

I was able to go into settings and delete some of the podcasts from there as you described. This did reduce some of my storage issues. Yeah!

However, my podcasts app appears to be stuck. When I click on it it always opens to the 'unplayed episodes' tab, and then 5 seconds later it crashes. If I try to go to any other tab, or to scroll it crashes, and It does not reflect the fact that I deleted some podcasts - they are still showing up there. Arrgggh.

Oct 21, 2015 12:15 PM in response to linda97439

I updated to iOS9.1 hoping it would fix the issue, no luck.

I did Apple chat support and now its FIXED. The support person asked me to go to Settings > General > Reset > RESET ALL SETTINGS. This does not erase the content, just lot of the settings. I had to put my wifi, cell data, and security settings but now podcasts works ! YIPPEE !!

Oct 21, 2015 6:42 PM in response to jozero

jozero, ruling out the fact that the new user-interface is not the same as iOS 8 and it has flaws, fortunately (knock on wood), I have not experienced the Podcast app crashing as you and many others have. As much as I do not like the new UI, I will say that all of my 12 different subscribed podcasts do open, update and play episodes as it should. On other Apple support threads for Podcasts, I read some users doing a complete backup and then restored their device as new through iTunes, which seemed to have resolved the problem.

It just makes me wonder, and believe me I know this is a stretch, perhaps there's a compatibility problem now with certain Podcasts within the new Podcasts app, which is causing the crash. Maybe just as test, and before you may end up doing a complete backup/restore, you could try unsubscribing and deleting all your subscriptions and then try subscribing to another Podcast that might work (one of the 12 Podcasts that works for me is "PBS NewsHour - Full Episodes", another is "World Update: Daily Commute" - these are both daily podcasts). Again, I know it's a stretch but maybe it's worth a try.

Oct 21, 2015 6:59 PM in response to Golden Delicious01

Hello.

Thanks for the detailed response. I have done a complete iTunes backup, then restore to no avail. I've also deleted all my podcasts episodes.

Your theory that it might be certain podcasts causing it to crash does make sense. I listen to 18 podcasts however, doing a conquer and divide by putting them back in half batches would take longer than I am willing to try. Also I'd have to make sure this change to my podcast lists doesn't propagate to my other devices, completely losing my list of subscriptions. Well actually maybe I will try it, once I am absolutely sure its not syncing my changes all around.

By the way, I don't mind the new interface. It is almost an exact rip off of the 3rd party podcast app called Castro, which I like. However I miss the iTunes sync too much with my Mac to use a third party solution.

Oct 21, 2015 11:22 PM in response to jozero

Well this is interesting. So I turned off sync across devices in settings on my iPhone. Then, as suggested above by Golden boy, I deleted podcasts in batches. I never found the problem podcast. Then I added them back in batches. And now it works !!

I added ALL the podcast subscriptions back, every one of them. For some reason now its fine. I've been using the app on and off for a few hours, downloaded some episodes, deleted some, scrolled around - not a single crash. Something must of really got corrupted on the transition from Podcast app iOS8 to iOS9.

podcast crash iOS 9.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.