Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Secure empty trash has disappeared since el capitan. Any ideas anyone?

Since el capitan, the secure empty trash option has gone from the trash AND from the preferences' advanced options. Where is it?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 6:41 AM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2015 3:27 PM in response to Andrew Herbert1

It's been replaced with:

1 - Control (right) - click one the file in the Trash bin and select Delete Immediately from the contextual menu.

User uploaded file

You'll get the following response:

User uploaded file

This works like the Secure Delete as it writes over the file on the HD and will override those files that are said to be still in use by some other app:

User uploaded file

2 - also you can select the file wherever it may be on the HD, hold down the Option key and use the File ➙ Delete Immediately menu option to delete and overwrite the file without first having to drag it to the Trash bin in the Dock:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 8, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Old Toad

I believe that has to be done via the Terminal and is not necessary or recommended for SSD drives.

Yes and yes (in order to securely erase SSD's, the method is so time consuming that I have decided to use a hammer if/when the time comes - you need to keep copying an image file or some such in a folder continuously until at least half of the drive is full. Empty trash and do it again. Finally use recovery to install an OS and then erase that.) I don't remember all the fine details, but basically that is what is recommended (in another forum).

Secure empty trash has disappeared since el capitan. Any ideas anyone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.