Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp partition disappeared..

Previously I've had three partitions. MAC OSX + BOOT CAMP + Shared Partition(FAT32)

For upgrade to EL CAPITAN, I used bootable USB. Using disk utility I erased MAC OSX for clean installation and proceeded installation.

But I got an error massage saying "OS X could not be installed on your computer. This partition map modification would make a windows partition unbootable".

Untill this moment, I could see bootcamp in boot mode selection when I tried . For solve the problem above, I tried to resize MAC OSX partition. (MAC OSX partition was 250GB and resized it to 249GB) and I found 1 more partition created with 1GB. I reuninified them as original size 250GB.

I tried to reboot the MAC and since I couldn't find any bootable disk except USB disk and I'm getting same error massage when I tried to install OSX.

Where do I have to start and what do I have to do.

Please give me any say

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 7:22 AM

19 replies

Oct 7, 2015 8:51 AM in response to yk052052

yk052052 wrote:

Previously I've had three partitions. MAC OSX + BOOT CAMP + Shared Partition(FAT32)

Apple OSes do nto understand such layouts and are recipe for data loss waiting to happen.

For upgrade to EL CAPITAN, I used bootable USB. Using disk utility I erased MAC OSX for clean installation and proceeded installation.

But I got an error massage saying "OS X could not be installed on your computer. This partition map modification would make a windows partition unbootable".

You should have stopped here. 😮

Untill this moment, I could see bootcamp in boot mode selection when I tried . For solve the problem above, I tried to resize MAC OSX partition. (MAC OSX partition was 250GB and resized it to 249GB) and I found 1 more partition created with 1GB. I reuninified them as original size 250GB.

I tried to reboot the MAC and since I couldn't find any bootable disk except USB disk and I'm getting same error massage when I tried to install OSX.

All these steps should not have been done at all. More than likely you will lose Windows 10.

Please post the output of the following OSX Terminal commands.

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Oct 7, 2015 7:46 PM in response to Loner T

I got out as following.

1.diskutil list

User uploaded file

2. diskutil cs list

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

3. sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

Command not found

4. sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Command not found

I used terminal during the installation from bootable USB. For the commands 3 & 4, I typed correctly, do I have to use different terminal mode?

If possible, I really want all disk recovered as original. But if it's impossible, I just want to copy whole shared partition and some folders in window background.

Oct 8, 2015 10:17 PM in response to yk052052

I just realized that shared partition didn't show up and I can't back up for that.

I had this same problem that shared partition doesn't show up. And every time this happened, I did 'chkdsk /f " command in windows and used to recover the shared disk. But for now, I cannot boot windows. Is there any command in OSX doing same thing as "chkdsk /f" ?

Or if I'm able to copy whole shared disk to another disk by using any command in OSX, it would be ok as well.

Oct 9, 2015 10:16 AM in response to yk052052

yk052052 wrote:

I just realized that shared partition didn't show up and I can't back up for that.

I had this same problem that shared partition doesn't show up. And every time this happened, I did 'chkdsk /f " command in windows and used to recover the shared disk. But for now, I cannot boot windows. Is there any command in OSX doing same thing as "chkdsk /f" ?

Or if I'm able to copy whole shared disk to another disk by using any command in OSX, it would be ok as well.

Is your shared partition NTFS?

Bootcamp partition disappeared..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.