Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX problems loading effects after El Capitan Update

I updated to El Capitan yesterday and ever since FCPX has a problem uploading my projects with all of my edits. It just shows my project in all raw footage but had the effects loading (see attached) anyone have similar problems? There's also weird dots going over the time and where it uploads.... Not sure what to do...

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 8:02 AM

15 replies

Oct 7, 2015 8:12 AM in response to GAW1823

GAW1823 wrote:

I updated to El Capitan yesterday and ever since FCPX has a problem uploading my projects with all of my edits. It just shows my project in all raw footage but had the effects loading (see attached) anyone have similar problems? There's also weird dots going over the time and where it uploads.... Not sure what to do...

We're seeing a rash of ElCap issues. Word to the wise: Don't upgrade the OS yet.

Word to the wiser: Be prepared to revert to an earlier OS if you think these ElCap issues won't affect your installation. Have a clone of your system drive before you upgrade the OS to ElCap.

The wonks will try to help but they'll need some help from you:

1. Define what you mean by "upload."

2. Upload to where? Do you mean share to a social preset or are you exporting?

3. You can't attach an image here but you can paste in a screen shot. That's easy but non-trivial since Mac screen shots save to tiff and you can't upload a tiff to this forum.

4. I cannot begin to imagine what you mean by "weird dots."

Oct 7, 2015 8:34 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

3. You can't attach an image here but you can paste in a screen shot. That's easy but non-trivial since Mac screen shots save to tiff and you can't upload a tiff to this forum.

David, I am sorry, but this is very misleading. Screenshots are actually trivial to obtain in the mac.

To take a shot of the entire screen, just press Command-Shift-3.

To take a shot of part of the screen, just press Command-Shift-4 and drag to select the region you want.

Screenshots are by default saved as png, not tiff.

(Or if you do command-control-shift 3 or 4, you will have your screenshot go straight to the clipboard instead of to a file.)

True, there is a utility called "Grab" that comes with OS X and makes screenshots and only saves as tiff. But I bet most users who take screenshots use the keyboard combinations instead.

Oct 7, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Actually, Luis, it's not misleading in the least, it's how many of us think: we use Grab because that's the application Apple has supplied for the task. I have a dozen Mac users on my staff, all are power users. Only tow of them use the keyboard shortcuts. The rest all use Grab because, you know, APPLE.

The easiest way for me to get .png or even .jpg screenshots is to have Preview open.

File > Take Screenshot > from selection, from window, from entire screen > save as.

The confusion about Grab is that it saves as tiff and this cannot be changed. The incorrect advice that appears on hundreds of websites to use Terminal to change the default file from tiff to png or jpg only works with screenshots. The action in Terminal does not alter how Grab saves files.

Oct 7, 2015 9:17 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

sorry for the confusion,let me rephrase. When I open final cut, my projects take a while to load. When I go to open the project, my browser will show a certain frame but without any effects. For example I added "sharpen" and "vignette" to a clip, and it continues to just say "vignette loading". I do not know how to explain the dots..when you are waiting for something to render-that number where it goes up to 100 with the green around it-that has dots over. I will try and attach this again.User uploaded file

Oct 7, 2015 9:24 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

sorry for the confusion,let me rephrase. When I open final cut, my projects take a while to load. When I go to open the project, my browser will show a certain frame but without any effects. For example I added "sharpen" and "vignette" to a clip, and it continues to just say "vignette loading". I do not know how to explain the dots..when you are waiting for something to render-that number where it goes up to 100 with the green around it-that has dots over. I will try and attach this again.User uploaded file

Oct 7, 2015 9:26 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

David Bogie Chq-1 wrote:

Actually, Luis, it's not misleading in the least, it's how many of us think: we use Grab because that's the application Apple has supplied for the task. I have a dozen Mac users on my staff, all are power users. Only tow of them use the keyboard shortcuts. The rest all use Grab because, you know, APPLE.

Command-Shift-3 was there in the classic Mac OS, it has been there for over 30 years now.

"Grab" looks like something that almost surely came to the Mac from the NeXt side of the family.

Maybe that is why since the dawn of Mac OS X there have been these two very distinct methods for achieving the same thing.

For me, clearly the keyboard shortcut is the "Mac way" or "Apple way". But I understand that different people do things differently.

(I do have serious trouble understanding how some people, after many years of using a mac, still do all the travelling to Edit->Copy instead of Command-C, however 😕)

I know Grab, and have used on occasion when I needed to make a timed screenshot, but I think of it as mostly unknown program. Several people over the years have come to me and asked how to take a screenshot and not once I thought to tell them to look for Grab :-)

The easiest way for me to get .png or even .jpg screenshots is to have Preview open.

File > Take Screenshot > from selection, from window, from entire screen > save as.

The confusion about Grab is that it saves as tiff and this cannot be changed. The incorrect advice that appears on hundreds of websites to use Terminal to change the default file from tiff to png or jpg only works with screenshots. The action in Terminal does not alter how Grab saves files.

Using Preview is an alternative that I feel is better than Grab, for the reason you mentioned and for another practical one; you can immediately use the annotation tools on it.

Oct 11, 2015 2:31 PM in response to GAW1823

dots...or in my case now turned into a line.

It went away once but its back ??!!FFS

User uploaded file

when you say 'Projects' do mean Library?

What version of FCPX are you running?

For example, does your Libraries window look like this?

User uploaded file

I suggest just running one library ?

Try creating a new Library and and keep that open, close the others and test in that one.

FCPX problems loading effects after El Capitan Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.