Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Too many free iCloud accounts

I am the tech coordinator at a school with ~600 iPads (mostly iPad 2s, some iPad 3s, and around 180 iPad Airs)

As students graduate and/or leave the school, we reuse their iPads and give them to new students.

When doing so, we have some iPads that have been used by over 3 users over its lifetime, and, in turn, we have run into a decent number of iPads that are giving the error that says "The maximum number of free accounts have been activated"

I understand why this is in place: so people don't create a ton of accounts and have unlimited iCloud storage. But this is extremely annoying in the education (and business) systems where devices are reused.

Is there anything I can do? Or maybe is there anyone I can contact to reset the counts? I have all of the order numbers and that good stuff, so I can provide the necessary details.

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.2, Also on iPad 3 and iPad Air

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 8:34 AM

9 replies

Oct 7, 2015 8:46 AM in response to ckuan

That is not a viable solution. One of the main purposes of iCloud is for backing up devices. Students need to use iCloud (and iCloud Drive) to back up their work in case of emergency. If they shared one user account, the files in iCloud Drive would get mixed together. Thus, each user needs to have their own iCloud account so that they can have their own iCloud storage.

Oct 7, 2015 8:56 AM in response to ckuan

Well then, how should I administer iPads in a school? If individual users are not supposed to have their own iCloud accounts and having a shared iCloud account causes issues with sharing files and quickly using up storage, is there a solution? Or is this just a situation where we have to hope the iPads are infallible and will not ever need to be restored from a backup?

If you have better suggestions about how to better administer this system, I would appreciated any constructive feedback.

Oct 7, 2015 8:59 AM in response to Csound1

Do Macs have the same restriction on the maximum number of iCloud accounts that can be created on them?

I'm worried that this would just cause the same problem on other devices (i.e. if I create a new iCloud account using another iPad or a Mac, that will use up one of their three accounts that device can create, which would lead to the same problem on that device).

Oct 7, 2015 11:24 AM in response to ckuan

The link you sent me is for Apple Configurator 1.7.1. I have been using Configurator since 2012. I am currently using Apple Configurator 2.0 as well as Apple's Device Enrollment Program (DEP) which removes the need to set up iPads through Configurator (though now Configurator 2.0 works well with DEP, while previous versions did not). Either way, both methods already connect the iPads to the Mobile Device Manager (MDM), and from there I can manage various things such as restrictions and deploying apps.

Regardless, using Configurator and/or DEP does not change anything about iCloud. As long as a device is assigned to a user, that user needs to connect to their own iCloud account in order to do backups and use iCloud Drive.

Oct 13, 2015 3:42 AM in response to WMAATech

I didn't know this existed until it came up in the forum i work on.

I have asked three Apple advisors about this and amazingly not one of them knew what i was talking about.

It seems to me that this isn't something that many people know about until they try to set up a second hand device.

This is what it says at Apple but it seems pretty ambiguous to me-

Apple reserves the right to limit the number of Accounts that may be created from a device and the number of devices associated with an Account.

Too many free iCloud accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.