Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best practice to SSD upgrade

Hi there

Can somebody recommend a good SSD that will work as good as the original?

Do I need other items to install it?

What is the current recommendation regarding TRIM?

Is it more safe to buy it in a Apple shop?

Need around 220-260 GB in my MacBookPro Mid2010.

Kindly regards

Per

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 9:12 AM

Crucial and OWC are very reliable SSDs. You can find one for your model at their site.

You can use the same screws and SATA cable that are currently used on your HDD. No additional parts are needed if you're simply replacing the HDD with an SSD.

As far as TRIM, personally, I don't use it on my 3rd party SSDs (2- Mac Minis). I just use the built-in Garbage Collection of the drive. The drives currently perform like new. I have installed SSDs in Macbook Pros (2011, 2008, 2009) for friends and they're still performing like new.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 9:12 AM in response to perjensen

Crucial and OWC are very reliable SSDs. You can find one for your model at their site.

You can use the same screws and SATA cable that are currently used on your HDD. No additional parts are needed if you're simply replacing the HDD with an SSD.

As far as TRIM, personally, I don't use it on my 3rd party SSDs (2- Mac Minis). I just use the built-in Garbage Collection of the drive. The drives currently perform like new. I have installed SSDs in Macbook Pros (2011, 2008, 2009) for friends and they're still performing like new.

Best practice to SSD upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.