Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any know problem while using Mail in Mac Mini? thing is, everytime I launch the mail app I noticed there is significant drop in systems performance.

Hi All,

Every time I use Mail application, I noticed significant drop in systems performance i.e. system slows down real bad. For e.g. launching simple app such "Notepad" will take good amount of time to load (atleast a minute). Mail box been mapped with 4 accounts since day one and it's today out of the blue I started facing this issue.

System configuration:

Mac mini (Late 2014)

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Intel Iris 1536 MB

OS X EL Capitan

- Removed all accounts and tried launching Mail app with just one account (iCloud), issue still persists.

- Apple support walked me through changing the DNS IP with no luck in solving this case.

- Carried out clean install with OS X EL Capitan

Per Activity Monitor, Mail app consumes around 14 GB memory and most out of CPU. Screenshots below:-

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 8:19 AM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2015 4:22 PM in response to Mut13y

1. If you've just upgraded to OS X 10.11 ("El Capitan") and Mail is using excessive memory, the condition may be temporary. See whether it resolves on its own within a few hours.

2. If you've installed any third-party plugins for Mail, remove them according to the developer's instructions, then log out or restart the computer and test. Back up all data before making any changes.

3. In the Advanced settings for the mail account, uncheck the box marked

Send large attachments with Mail Drop

if it's checked. If you have more than one account, repeat with each one. Relaunch Mail and test.

4. I've seen a report that Mail may leak memory if a Gmail or Google Apps account does not have the "Auto-Expunge" option enabled in its settings on the website. I can't confirm.

5. There are also reports that installing certain kinds of S/MIME certificates to encrypt mail may trigger a memory leak. I can't confirm that either, and I don't have a workaround, except to stop signing or encrypting messages. If you don't know what S/MIME is, this paragraph doesn't apply to you.

Is there any know problem while using Mail in Mac Mini? thing is, everytime I launch the mail app I noticed there is significant drop in systems performance.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.