Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seeking suggestions on best codec to archive old DV tapes to hard drive.

I'm in the process of archiving 15 year old DV tapes to several hard drives before the tapes degrade and I have a few questions.

1) Does FCPX modify DV format to ProRes upon import or does it leave it in it's native format? From what I've read I don't think it does but just checking to make sure. I'm trying to avoid multiple compression and re-compression events to protect the quality of the video. If this is not an issue then let me know.

2) If it doesn't modify the DV format upon import then would Compressor re-compress the file upon export as a DV QuickTime file for storage on my hard drives? Is there a better long term option than DV for archiving? Is there a better workflow to accomplish this? I'm using a brand new Mac Pro and multiple large USB 3.0 hard drives so computing power and storage is not an issue. Thanks in advance for your help! - James

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 8:28 AM

9 replies

Oct 7, 2015 8:53 AM in response to James Jackson7

You don't have to export anything. You can either import as a camera archive, which makes bundle that holds your media, or you can import into an external folder outside the library. Either way your media is entirely separate from FCP and does not have to have anything done to it. You can use FCP simply as an import device, or use the QT player.

Oct 7, 2015 8:53 AM in response to James Jackson7

As we have attempted to archive our ancient 2", 1" 3/4", Betacam, VHS, and DV tapes, we came up with a few tips to share:

1. Obtain a DVD recorder and loop it into the video path. Make a DVD at the same time you're capturing. Remember to both preview and then finalize the disks.

2. Set up your physical work space so there is a logical progression from piles or boxes of uncaptured stock footage. Clearly label your tapes. Clearly label your DVDs. Clearly separate the captured stuff. We put the completed tapes in a different room.

3. Build a notation and labeling system that absolutely identifies stock that has not been captured and stock that has been captured. Do not use Post-Its, they fall off.

4. Figure it out ahead of time, not after you start.

5. Have an appropriate tape deck cleaning system handy. Those old tapes are dirty.

6. Strongly urge you to take the effort and time to write up some kind of content list of your media as you are working through them. It doesn't have to be comprehensive but, if you or your associates or children hope to ever find anything, you must have dates, rough descriptions, and other metadata. You can do this on index cards or in a database but you really must do it.

7. Hard drives are not eternal. DVDs are not eternal. You should tag these drives and disks with a note to review them and recopy them in about 5 years and again every 10 years. Storage media will continue to evolve and you must maintain copies that can be used on the next generations of hardware and software.

Do you have old family photo albums? Your great grandmother may have written names and dates on the back of every picture in the albums. That's precious metadata. If you do not capture it, it is lost forever.

Seeking suggestions on best codec to archive old DV tapes to hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.