Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sent iMessages not syncing between iPhone and iPad

I am logged into my iPhone and iPad with the same appleid and I am able to receive iMessages on both devices. However, when I send a message from either, it does not sync to the other. When I delete a message from one, it does not delete from the other. I have logged my iPad into my wife's appleid and things sync perfectly, which implies that the issue is with my phone. However, I have just gotten a new phone and built it up from scratch rather than from backup and I still have the same problem. Before switching to this phone, I cleared and rebuilt the previous phone from scratch and it didn't help. I have updated all software on both my iPad and iPhone 6s to iOS 9.0.2 and the problem persists. Finally, everything used to work just fine up until about 2 months ago. Any ideas on where to look next? Help!

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.2, Also iPad Air 2 with iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 9:59 AM

10 replies

Oct 9, 2015 9:25 PM in response to mjohnb

I am in the exact same predicament. I could've just signed my name to your post above. I have already spent way too much time on this issue.I was on the phone with AppleCare for over an hour this evening trying to work out the problem. They had to escalate me two times submit my issue to the engineers and they set up a return call with me next week. We did everything from sign in and out of every device and service in every combination you can think of, powered down, hard reset, swapped Sim cards, etc.

Oct 12, 2015 1:58 PM in response to mjohnb

Hi,

On the iPhone > Settings > Messages > Send and Receive is the iPhone Number listed ?

It show be greyed out.

More importantly is it ticked ?

if this is very recent then just turn Messages Off then On Again and wait for the iPhone Number to reconnect.

If it is longer then reset everything.

Remove (Sign Out) of the Apple ID. Place in Airplane Mode for two mins.

Start Messages up again and wait until the Number verifies. Add back the Apple ID, reset Text Forwarding if Required.

User uploaded file

9:58 p.m. Monday; October 12, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Oct 19, 2015 12:41 PM in response to mjohnb

Hi,

Re: 1,

Are the iPhone Number that shows in Send and Receive the same on both devices and are they both active ?
Same fro the Apple ID ?

Re 2.

That is the way it works and is not and has never been a feature since Messages 7 was introduced in OS X 10.8

EDIT.

Also check the Settings > Messages > Send and Receive on the iPhone.

Tap the Apple ID and check the Location.

User uploaded file

8:37 p.m. Monday; October 19, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 27, 2015 8:41 AM in response to mjohnb

Thanks Ralph. Re:1, they are both setup with the same AppleId, same send/receive and both are active. Re:2, I don't think that is accurate, but I may be wrong. At a minimum, I know that when you read the message on one, it was marked read on the other and that is not happening either. The same setup works great on my wife's phone/ipad/appleid.

I think I am giving up and I am definitely disappointed/frustrated. But it is not worth this much effort!

Oct 27, 2015 2:06 PM in response to mjohnb

Hi,

Re 2.

User uploaded file

I have added the red outlines to the word "Delivered" in this iMessage.

As you can see it was sent to my iPhone.

I sent it from my Apple ID to my iPhone Number so it syncs back as well.

There is no "Read" as I have not got either device to send that info back to the other end.

Bizarrely the "sync" of the send is seen on the iPhone before the receipt of the actual iMessage. (time-wise this is correct as you have to send before you can Receive it just looks odd).

User uploaded file

9:06 p.m. Tuesday; October 27, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

sent iMessages not syncing between iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.