Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail acts differently on my MB Air

I am not sure how to explain this question. It is an odd thing and I can't think of quite the right words. But here goes.

I have an iMac on my desk, and also a MB Air. I am using Yosemite on both of them, 10.10.5. On my iMac Mail works as it always has in the sense that I can respond to a mail by clicking the respond tab at the upper end of the mail (arrow pointing left). When the mail opens, and I start typing a reply, then the mail I am replying to opens up in a new window. The listing of mails in the In Box are still seen underneath this window. On my iMac, I can go back and forth between these windows. By this I mean that I can click on the underlying window of the In Box and read some of the text in the mail I am responding to, then go back to the open reply mail I am working with. I hope this is clear. I mean to say that I can toggle between the two windows.

On my MB Air, I cannot do this. If I reply to a mail, it opens in a new window as described above, but then the underlying list of mails in the In Box are grayed out and if I click on them there is no response. As well, the open window of the reply mail cannot be moved on the screen. I cannot move it to the left or right or down. It is just stuck there. I can continue to type into the reply and send it OR I can cancel and then go back and read the original mail again.

I know this sounds confusing, but this is the best I can put it – that the open reply window does not allow any window switching or any movement on the screen.

I have checked settings and there is no difference between the two computers that I can see, so must have to do with the Air architecture I am thinking.

If anyone has any idea about this, I would love to hear from them. Makes using Mail on the Air a frustrating experience.

Richard

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 16 GB

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:33 PM

Hi Richard,

From your post I understand that when using Mail on your MacBook Air, you have a compose window in the middle of your screen, and you're unable to move said window to see the other mail behind it. This behavior indicates you have Mail in Full Screen mode, and all you need to do is simply exit full screen to get the same behavior that you're seeing on your iMac.

OS X Yosemite: Take apps full screen

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Richard Pitcairn

Hi Richard,

From your post I understand that when using Mail on your MacBook Air, you have a compose window in the middle of your screen, and you're unable to move said window to see the other mail behind it. This behavior indicates you have Mail in Full Screen mode, and all you need to do is simply exit full screen to get the same behavior that you're seeing on your iMac.

OS X Yosemite: Take apps full screen

Take care.

Mail acts differently on my MB Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.