Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2014 mac mini very unresponsive, fails to wake

I have a late 2014 mac mini (mid-range specs; plenty of RAM) that from the beginning has been soooooo slow. My 2011 macbook air is much faster.

When rebooting, it takes about 10 minutes to be really responsive after reloading Safari, Mail, and a couple other programs. The amount of time I spend starting at the beach ball of death is mind-numbing.

Lately, if I reboot (for an update, say) and then don't log in right away, and let it just go to sleep, it will turn itself "off" or at least into a deep hibernation mode of some sort.

All software is up-to-date. I don't run anything super intensive like Final Cut Pro...

Any recommendations for self-diagnostics? Or should I just make a Genius Bar appointment?

I'm within the 1-year window, but just barely. (I should have dealt with this much sooner, I know, but busy and all...)

Thanks in advance,

-Steve

Some specs:

2.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)

8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM

1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Intel Iris Graphics

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 6:53 AM

Waste no time taking the machine to an Apple Store for testing before the warranty expires.

2 replies

Late 2014 mac mini very unresponsive, fails to wake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.