Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Effects of using 2 Photos Library with the same Apple ID

Hello,

I would like to create a new Photo Library in my Apple Book Pro, and wonder about the consequences in the iCloud account and on my devices (iPad,iPhone).

1) Would the 2 Libraries be merged in Icloud or Photos + Albums stay separates ?

2) What would I see in my devices, a merged Photos + Album or are they kept separate ?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 11:20 AM

Only one library will sync with iCloud. You can only enable the library that has been designated as the System Photo Library for iCloud.

• If you create additional libraries and do not enable them as your iCloud Photo Library, the photos will stay locally on your Mac.
  • If you want to merge libraries in iCloud you would switch between libraries and enable them as your iCloud Photo Library in turn. The photos and albums from your currently selected library will upload to iCloud Photo Library as well and merge with the current library. The albums will be added.
    • Your mobile devices will see the merged library in iCloud.
    • And the photos and albums from the first iCloud Library will sync back to the currently active iCloud Library.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 11:20 AM in response to kristinfromfeusisberg

Only one library will sync with iCloud. You can only enable the library that has been designated as the System Photo Library for iCloud.

• If you create additional libraries and do not enable them as your iCloud Photo Library, the photos will stay locally on your Mac.
  • If you want to merge libraries in iCloud you would switch between libraries and enable them as your iCloud Photo Library in turn. The photos and albums from your currently selected library will upload to iCloud Photo Library as well and merge with the current library. The albums will be added.
    • Your mobile devices will see the merged library in iCloud.
    • And the photos and albums from the first iCloud Library will sync back to the currently active iCloud Library.

Oct 7, 2015 11:00 PM in response to léonie

Thank you, léonie ! Very helpful, but one more clarification on your last point, please

1) once they are sync in the cloud, would the 2 library stay there as a merged library, or re-sync to one of my 2 "System Photo Library", since I can use them "one at the time" only ?

2) what do you think of using 2 different Apple computers , each one with one System library only for i Cloud, only, and using the same Apple ID ? Would the Album merge, if they have same Keywords or other same Metadata info ?

Appreciate your help.

Oct 7, 2015 11:08 PM in response to kristinfromfeusisberg

1) once they are sync in the cloud, would the 2 library stay there as a merged library, or re-sync to one of my 2 "System Photo Library", since I can use them "one at the time" only ?

Whatever is in your iCloud Photo Library in iCloud will sync to the local library on your Mac, that is currently your iCloud Library on your Mac. iCloud keeps all photo libraries, that are enabled as iCloud Photo Library in sync.

Make one library your iCloud Photo Library for the photos and albums you want on all devices, and create additional libraries for the photos you do not want in iCloud. You can switch to other libraries without enabling them as iCloud Photo Library.

2) what do you think of using 2 different Apple computers , each one with one System library only for i Cloud, only, and using the same Apple ID ? Would the Album merge, if they have same Keywords or other same Metadata info ?

Albums will merge, if they are identical. But it is better to create albums on one mac and then let the album sync to the other devices. See this help text: Use Photos and iCloud Photo Library on multiple Mac computers - Apple Support

Oct 17, 2015 9:26 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

great answer...but need a follow up.

By mistake, I enabled 2 System Libraries to go to my Icloud, and now they merged. As indicated in the materials you suggested me to read, i.e. "Use Photos...etc on multiple Mac Computers - Apple Support", the merge can not be undone. Now its too late... but wonder if you know of a way to clean up :

= How about "disable & delete" Photo libraries in the Setting of my device or in the System Preference of my Mac, after having saved them to an external device. Then, I could re-enter them in Photo App after the cleaning (disable+delete) is done. What you think ? Or a better way ?

Finally, to avoid future mistake, how can I disable the second Library from going into the Cloud, once I have switched to it ?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 17, 2015 9:34 AM in response to kristinfromfeusisberg

Finally, to avoid future mistake, how can I disable the second Library from going into the Cloud, once I have switched to it

When you switch to the second library, that you do not want in iCloud, don't change the iCloud preferences, while this library is open in Photos. If you want to see your iCloud Photos, switch back to your main system photo library.

= How about "disable & delete" Photo libraries in the Setting of my device or in the System Preference of my Mac, after having saved them to an external device. Then, I could re-enter them in Photo App after the cleaning (disable+delete) is done. What you think ? Or a better way ?

I'd make a copy of the merged library as a backup. tThen, while the original is still syncing with iCloud, delete the photos you do not want in iCloud from that library.

Effects of using 2 Photos Library with the same Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.