Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

9.0.2 backup restore issue.

1. I got new iPhone 6s on launching day and restored all data via icloud from my old iphone 5. It did work well and no issue were there at all.

2. I exchanged iphone 6s with new one yesterday at apple store. I tried to restore the backup via icloud from my iphone 6s that I returned (and I did icloud backup before returning the device to apple store) white screen w/ apple logo w/o progress bar stayed for hours. I didn't think that's normal so I tried 'turning off the device and turning it on'. Though it said restoring is completed but all app datas were gone (including phone call history, text message and so on.)

3. So I wondered if this is because of version compatibility (the backup one is 9.0.2 and the new one that I got is 9.0), I did hard reset and set up as new phone, and updated it (so now new one also has 9.0.2).

4. So I tried to restore it again. But no luck. Still it stayed white screen w/o bar and all app data were gone.

5. So I did hard reset and tried to restore the backup from the one that was done before the latest one. However, still the issue remained. White screen w/o progress bar stayed for hours and no text message and phone call history after rebooting it manually (by pressing home button and power button)

5. So, what I did was to restore the backup that I did before updating ios 9.0.2 (that was done on october 2nd). Amazingly, it did work (its version was 9.0.1 or 9.0 i guess) i didn't meet stuck white screen so that I had to turn off and turn on and all data were remained.

So bottom line is my phone can't restore properly from the backup with current version (9.0.2) but with old versions(9.0.1 or 9.0). My phone has 9.0.2 now. Do you have any issues like that? (restoring phone backup on 9.0.2)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 11:22 AM

10 replies

Oct 18, 2015 8:38 AM in response to J.P-

Exact same scenario here.

1. My new 6s was replaced yesterday at Apple Store, iCloud backup successfully completed prior to swap.

2. I knew that the replacement phone probably didn't have 9.0.2, which my original phone was on. So setup replacement as new iPhone, updated to 9.0.2, and then erased all.

3. Restored iPhone from iCloud backup, after initial progress bar for the restore completes the phone restarts and sits at a white screen with the Apple logo. It never progresses past this point on its own, left it overnight last night just to make sure it wasn't just time. Have to hold down sleep button to turn off phone, then turn back on and the restore proceeds after that. (I have tried this 4 times now)

4. Phone will restore all apps, settings, but all Messages/SMS are gone. During the restore process I can go into the storage settings and see that Messages are using 1.5GB of data, but by the end of the restore it is reduced to 21.0MB.

5. I am at the mercy of my iCloud backup 😟

I have not tried going back to 9.0 or 9.0.1 yet, but am pretty upset that my backup from my original phone to replacement phone is having this problem. When I upgraded to the 6s from my 6, the iCloud restore worked like it is supposed to. I will try downgrading to 9.0 and seeing if the restore works. I don't have a local iTunes backup unfortunately, the swap was done at a store that isn't near my house so couldn't make the iTunes backup beforehand.

Perturbed Patrick

Oct 18, 2015 11:36 PM in response to J.P-

Well after 8+ restores using various iCloud backups and restore methods (Erase all Content & Settings, iTunes restore using fresh download of 9.0.2) I decided to give Apple Support a call to see if there was any other hope. The support person didn't really have any suggestions and even went as far as telling me that Messages are no longer backed up in iCloud/iOS 9, which honestly baffled me. I referenced Apple's own support article that says Messages are indeed backed up and included when restoring (when going from iPhone to iPhone, iPad to iPad, etc.), as they always have been in the past. He told me that the article is outdated......okay buddy!

After he told me that I knew I was done, I can only go so long without the use of my phone. I've already spent my entire Sunday trying to get my replacement phone back to the same state my previous device with no luck. I have to assume this is a 9.0.2 bug, when I restored from my iCloud backup from my to 6 to my first 6S, everything restored like it is supposed to. Apple is no longer signing anything below 9.0.2 so I can't try 9.0.1 or 9.0. I have no choice but to move on without the messages, once you start using your phone and receiving new messages, any hope of getting the others back is lost.

Still Perturbed Patrick

Oct 20, 2015 10:36 PM in response to J.P-

I have the same exact issue. It is ridiculous that Apple hasn't addressed this issue so many people having. When you do things correctly, and pay for extra storage for iCloud backup, you expect it to work. I've lost 6 years of iMessages and texts. Apple needs to stop worrying about releasing a new version of iOS every year and make sure the crap they are releasing actually works.

Nov 6, 2015 2:09 PM in response to redmohican

My issue is kinda similar, except mine involves the iPod touch. I created a backup to iTunes prior to going to the Apple Store. My touch functions had been facing since the 9.1 update. The apple store were only able to provide wt the exact same device, at cost, because they said the hardware must be damaged. On a two year old iPod touch? When I returned home, I updated my device to the the new IOS. 9.01, because that supposably new iPod, had been sitting unused for two years in the apple store, and still had it's original IOS. When I try to restore settings, music and Apps to the iPod, the restore function is unavailable, grayed out. I am being forced to restore things one at a time to my iPod. Does anyone know of a reason, why my iPod won't restore. I might be returning to the apple store, but if I do it won't be for help. It will be to demand a refund on the iPod Touch they just sold me, and to tell them Adios ..

9.0.2 backup restore issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.