Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Imac will not restart without me holding the power button

Ok so here is the issue my imac desktop computer is currently running Yosemite 10.10.3 and I am trying to do the upgrade to El Capitan to see if that fixes my problem but currently every time the computer says it needs an update it does it and then when it gets to the part where it needs to restart it shuts all the windows and icons on my desktop down and then never restarts. I have left it alone for hours and nothing just stays on my desktop wallpaper with no icons I end up having to hold down the power button to force it to shut down. It also does the same thing if i try to manually pull down the window and click restart or shut down it just shuts every thing down and leaves it on my desktop screen with nothing for me to click on.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 11:16 AM

2 replies

Oct 7, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Hargus56

First NEVER do a upgrade in order to fix a problem, get the problem fixed first then once your system is stable and working as designed then upgrade. The reason for this sequence is if your upgrade, the problem will not be magically fixed and will be more difficult to troubleshoot.

Also, ALWAYS have a full backup of your system at all times, this is especially critical if you intend to upgrade the version of OS X. At a bare minimum please use Time Machine to backup your computer.

Please clearly state what issue your are trying to resolve and then we can begin troubleshooting it.

My Imac will not restart without me holding the power button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.