Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade unmatched tracks?

I'm considering iTunes match and did some research, which led to one remaining issie:

I've a lot of tracks (I ripped from my 1980/90s CD collection during the late 90s early 00s) in my iTunes library which are MP3s at 96 and 128kpbs.

Suppose a part of these tracks remain unmatched, iTunes match will then upload them as as. I intend for those tracks to rip my CDs again at 256kpbs AAC.

Can I request iTunes match to redo these tracks,? Actually exchanging the low bit rate unmatched tracks from the first run with the higher quality tracks

Does anyone have an answer?

kind regards

Henk

Apeldoorn, NL

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 12:28 PM

6 replies

Oct 7, 2015 1:11 PM in response to Henk Doorenspleet

Hi,

If a track is not matched, the only way to improve the quality is to re-rip the tracks as either 256 Kbps MP3 or AAC. Once done, I don't think it is important if a track is matched or not bearing in mind that matched tracks are 256 Kbps AAC.

You can try deleting the original and reimporting the tracks but there no guarantee that you will get a match.

Jim

Oct 8, 2015 8:55 AM in response to Henk Doorenspleet

Match isn't so much seeing things as a track in iTunes it is seeing it as a file entered in iTunes. My understanding is if you took a file and duplicated it 5 times Match would compare all 5 files. It isn't seeing it as "Hey Junde" by "The Beatles", it is seeing it as a file. For that matter I believe Match is really using audio fingerprinting to identify the file so even if you renamed a track Match will still come up with the actual corresponding file, not how you renamed it. If you re-rip a track Match is comparing that file, not saying, "This is a replacement for the other one called XYZ".

Oct 8, 2015 12:27 PM in response to Henk Doorenspleet

Actually it sounds like what Henk is asking is whether iTunes will re-upload the same track at a higher bit rate or go ahead and match to the already uploaded file. I have found that even tracks deleted from your cloud library can linger in the cloud for a while, and Match will often recover the previous uploads in the cloud and match to them instead of re-uploading. Maybe this is something they have improved over the years, but you'd have to try it to find out. Try a track or two and see. When I re-upload tracks that I have previously deleted, I usually have to rip them in a different format (MP3 instead of AAC, or WAV instead of MP3, etc.) to force the Match mechanism to do a new upload from scratch. Maybe a new bitrate works the same way.

Oct 8, 2015 12:36 PM in response to RTW's

Txs!

I understand: no clear answer.

With some trial and error I will see if Match users are be able to get unmatched songs re-uploaded.

What I will do:

• Find out which songs/albums are unmatched and uploaded in low quality MP3 from my current local iTunes library
  • I than can start re-ripping these unmatched songs and albums from my CDs.
  • Then I will force Match -in a way- to take up these higher quality versions in my updated local iTunes library

So I can save time to re-rip tons of CDs before starting with Match. I will repair afterwards (wait and see what is not matched).

txs again

Henk

Can I upgrade unmatched tracks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.