Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple AIFF file transfer to new computer

Over the last 5 years I have been importing my 1000+ CD library to a 2T aux drive as AIFF files. Listening to these on the home Mac has been no problem, iTunes finds them all, shows album art/metadata and it works well. I have now purchased a Mac Mini to use as a dedicated music server and will be using another 2T drive to store all of these AIFF files. I'm somewhat of a rookie at this, so my first attempt was to simply copy the entire itunes folder to the new drive and attach it to the new computer. I redirected itunes to find the media in the new drive and clicked yes to the reorganization of files. This was partially successful, but itunes on the new computer could not find many of the files shown. Upon closer look, iTunes has been doing some crazy stuff to my files over the years, splitting them all over the place. I found hundreds of duplicated CD files, with the individual tracks spread between them. Also many of the individual CDs of the same artist will be split into two files, some even splitting the tracks from the same CD.

I took the time to clean all of these up, taking the tracks from one file and adding them to the other, then deleting the duplicate. All of these files are on a fresh drive ready to go into the new itunes, but the new itunes isn't reading them. Did I miss transferring some files into the new drive? Keep in mind I do NOT want to transfer playlists, I just want a fresh itunes with all of my music dropped into it in a way that itunes can work with. Do I also need to drop in the artwork files, or are they already part of the individual CD AIFF files I created? Any help appreciated, thanks!

Mac mini, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 12:22 PM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2015 2:03 PM in response to PhilRennick

Uh-oh.

iTunes has its own way of doing things. It's kind of like me. Nobody else can make sense of my organization but that doesn't matter, I can and that's what matters. When you add a file to iTunes, iTunes notes the metadata, then it puts the file in a place it wants to and makes note of that location. If you do anything to change that location outside of iTunes the application won't know where it went. Thus "uh-oh" when you say you "cleaned" them up. It reminds me of when my mother "cleaned" my room on rare occasion and I couldn't find things for weeks.

You probably started off misunderstanding this when you "redirected iTunes" to your new location. I bet you did that with preferences. Wrong. Preferences does not tell iTunes where to go to look for added media, it only tells iTunes to store new files in that place. If you are moving a library from drive to drive you need to move the entire iTunes folder intact, then start iTunes while holding down the option/alt key and tell it which library to use.

You can, of course, simply start a fresh library (use the option start method) and add your media files to it. Try putting them in the Automatically Add To iTunes folder so iTunes moves them to the place it wants them (otherwise it copies them and confuses you into thinking it hasn't done anything with the file).

Artwork depends upon how you got it. If you added it manually it should be attached to the file. If you used iTunes to fetch it then iTunes uses a reference copy stored as a completely gibberish code in the Artwork folder and you will have to fetch it all again since the library database won't connect your new entries with it.

Oct 7, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the response Limnos. I have all of my "corrected" files in one folder. Open that folder and all of the individual artists folders show up, open up one of those folders and all of the CD's by that artist show up. Should I just drop the one main folder into the Add To Itunes folder and iTunes will take care of the rest? If the artwork is only partial, just copy the artwork folder from my original Mac to a folder in the new Mac Mini?

Oct 7, 2015 3:42 PM in response to PhilRennick

Realize when you add the folder to iTunes iTunes will organize your files as it wants to. There are ways to disable this but you then won't be able to use certain features such as find artwork or automatic repairing of broken links.

I may be mistaken but I do not think the old artwork folder is usable. It relates to references set up in the old library. It is like each artwork is give a code number and referred to that number when linked to a track in the specific iTunes library. You will have to fetch artwork again unless some is embedded in your AIFFs.

Multiple AIFF file transfer to new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.