Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swollen battery has wrecked my MacBook pro

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro. The battery gave no errors on the desktop indicating it needed replacing. It is likely well under the 1000 charge cycles limit. It expanded and split the case and trackpad. Apple state they won't cover any of the damage because the laptop is over 3 years old and they consider the battery a consumable. But my laptop isn't a consumable. Their stance on having a blanket policy of 3 years seems contrary to UK consumer rights legislation. The fact this charge cycle info was given to me today by support is the first time I've heard of this. I've had my machine in to an authorised apple service centre over the years and not long ago had a 500GB solid state hard drive put in. Nothing came up on diagnostics to indicate the battery needed replacing. I would argue that a battery housed within a sealed laptop unit that an owner isn't able to take out themselves should give some warnings before it swells and wrecks an expensive machine.

So, about this Apple 3 year policy?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:06 PM

Please make an appointment at the Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar and take it in for service. If you are not in the USA or cannot set up an appointment this way, then contact your local Apple Store directly. We have nothing to do with any of Apple's warranty policies. Unless you purchased Apple Care within your first year of ownership, then you have no 3 year warranty. Since your computer is more than 3 years old you would have no warranty in effect even had you purchased AppleCare.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Pointergirl

Please make an appointment at the Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar and take it in for service. If you are not in the USA or cannot set up an appointment this way, then contact your local Apple Store directly. We have nothing to do with any of Apple's warranty policies. Unless you purchased Apple Care within your first year of ownership, then you have no 3 year warranty. Since your computer is more than 3 years old you would have no warranty in effect even had you purchased AppleCare.

Oct 7, 2015 1:36 PM in response to Pointergirl

Pointergirl wrote:

I would argue that a battery housed within a sealed laptop unit that an owner isn't able to take out themselves should give some warnings before it swells and wrecks an expensive machine.

That really is not the case. Should you read the owners manual, you will find instructions for taking off the bottom plate and accessing the HDD and the RAM. The battery adjoins both of these items.

Ciao.

Swollen battery has wrecked my MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.