Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari freezes when opening tab in background

Using iPhone 6s and iOS 9.0.2 (restored from a 5s).

Safari freezes when opening tab in background. After force quitting and relaunching the app i can switch to the tab.

Happens several times a day with different websites.

Does anyone else have this problem?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2015 11:26 PM

My brand new unlocked, purchased from an Apple retail store just 2 weeks ago, iPhone 6S Plus 128GB in Space Grey with the Samsung CPU (#CPUGATE ?) has this very persistent issue. I have opened a case with Apple Support and was directed to an Apple store. I was able to demonstrate the issue to an Apple Genius within 2 minutes and the Apple Genius said they would submit this issue to Engineering. We ran a diagnostic after Safari stopped responding to gestures and touch.

This is what I learned about the issue effecting the iPhone 6S Plus 128GB:

Devices Tested:

• No Issue: iPhone 5 16 GB, iPhone 5S 16GB, iPad Mini with LTE, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
  • Issue Exists: iPhone 6S Plus 128GB

Persistence:

This issue occurs even after wiping the iPhone, reinstalling the IOS from iTunes, setting up the iPhone as new, not restoring from a backup, and not signing in to iCloud or iMessage/Facetime/keychain/etc.

Observations:

Normally when opening a new background tab an animation runs showing an icon bouncing up mid-screen-hight and going into the "View Tabs" square (the first button on the right side of the screen); however, when this issue occurs the animation changes so that the icon does not bounce but the icon goes all the way up and to the left of the screen. Once this happens Safari will stop responding to gestures and touch.

Safari does not seem to crash, stop responding, or use a lot of CPU (load) when the issue occurs; however, Safari stops responding to gestures and touch. One can change from portrait to landscape just fine. One can change to other applications using the Home button.

The issue doesn't seem to be load or memory-useage related as the issue can occur with many tabs open (40+) or only a few tabs (3); with many apps open (15) or only Safari (1). The most annoying is when I open two tabs, have no other apps open, when Safari stops responding to gestures and touch.

Safari seems to close normally.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Go into the Safari's settings and change from "open links in the foreground" to "open links in the background".
  2. Enable private browsing mode (I only use Safari in Private mode).
  3. Hold the iPhone normally - portrait orientation
  4. Google (I searched "iphone freezes") and open a dozen tabs.
  5. Read a few tabs. Go back to the search and open a few more.
  6. Close a few tabs.

Perform the above steps 4 ~ 6 few times and the issue will occur; Safari may seem to work just fine here and there but out of nowhere Safari stops responding to gestures and touch. This happens 5 ~ 8 times when I'm searching for some information on something new or interesting.

Not Tested:

I have not tried using the default "open links in the foreground" setting as Safari to not useful to me when used this way. Nor was this tried without Private mode enabled, or in the landscape orientation.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2015 11:26 PM in response to welfon

My brand new unlocked, purchased from an Apple retail store just 2 weeks ago, iPhone 6S Plus 128GB in Space Grey with the Samsung CPU (#CPUGATE ?) has this very persistent issue. I have opened a case with Apple Support and was directed to an Apple store. I was able to demonstrate the issue to an Apple Genius within 2 minutes and the Apple Genius said they would submit this issue to Engineering. We ran a diagnostic after Safari stopped responding to gestures and touch.

This is what I learned about the issue effecting the iPhone 6S Plus 128GB:

Devices Tested:

• No Issue: iPhone 5 16 GB, iPhone 5S 16GB, iPad Mini with LTE, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
  • Issue Exists: iPhone 6S Plus 128GB

Persistence:

This issue occurs even after wiping the iPhone, reinstalling the IOS from iTunes, setting up the iPhone as new, not restoring from a backup, and not signing in to iCloud or iMessage/Facetime/keychain/etc.

Observations:

Normally when opening a new background tab an animation runs showing an icon bouncing up mid-screen-hight and going into the "View Tabs" square (the first button on the right side of the screen); however, when this issue occurs the animation changes so that the icon does not bounce but the icon goes all the way up and to the left of the screen. Once this happens Safari will stop responding to gestures and touch.

Safari does not seem to crash, stop responding, or use a lot of CPU (load) when the issue occurs; however, Safari stops responding to gestures and touch. One can change from portrait to landscape just fine. One can change to other applications using the Home button.

The issue doesn't seem to be load or memory-useage related as the issue can occur with many tabs open (40+) or only a few tabs (3); with many apps open (15) or only Safari (1). The most annoying is when I open two tabs, have no other apps open, when Safari stops responding to gestures and touch.

Safari seems to close normally.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Go into the Safari's settings and change from "open links in the foreground" to "open links in the background".
  2. Enable private browsing mode (I only use Safari in Private mode).
  3. Hold the iPhone normally - portrait orientation
  4. Google (I searched "iphone freezes") and open a dozen tabs.
  5. Read a few tabs. Go back to the search and open a few more.
  6. Close a few tabs.

Perform the above steps 4 ~ 6 few times and the issue will occur; Safari may seem to work just fine here and there but out of nowhere Safari stops responding to gestures and touch. This happens 5 ~ 8 times when I'm searching for some information on something new or interesting.

Not Tested:

I have not tried using the default "open links in the foreground" setting as Safari to not useful to me when used this way. Nor was this tried without Private mode enabled, or in the landscape orientation.

Feb 28, 2016 7:19 AM in response to welfon

As discussed, this issue doesn't occur when opening tabs in landscape mode. However, I have identified that the issue will ALWAYS occur for me when opening a link in a new portrait tab (pressing the + button) AFTER Safari has been in landscape. So, something like putting safari in landscape mode, opening new tab (+ sign) then turning to portrait mode and opening a tab will always freeze the phone. Watching videos in full screen mode probably contributes to this issue as well but I have not yet tested it. Please confirm if this causes your issue as well. It's annoying and effectively ruins the benefits of 2 gbs of RAM. Running iPhone 6s 64 gb (Samsung processor). Updated to current 9.3 beta build but has occured for me at least since iOS 9.0

Safari freezes when opening tab in background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.