Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I keep the items on my desktop to stop moving??

Sometimes I'll save a file to my desktop or move a file, and then they'll randomly change positions. How do I prevent this? I don't have the "lock to grid" option selected, nor do I have it set to sort based on file info or anything like that.

It's not a huge deal, just annoying.

Any tips?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 3:54 PM

Open the Finder. Select your home drive.

Hold the Command key then hit the letter "I" or select the File drop down menu then Get Info.

User uploaded file

Click in the box beside "Locked." Your icons will now stay where you place them.

N.B. You will not be able to place new icons or files on the desktop or move them unless you unlock the desktop.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 3:54 PM in response to emelvee

Open the Finder. Select your home drive.

Hold the Command key then hit the letter "I" or select the File drop down menu then Get Info.

User uploaded file

Click in the box beside "Locked." Your icons will now stay where you place them.

N.B. You will not be able to place new icons or files on the desktop or move them unless you unlock the desktop.

User uploaded file

How do I keep the items on my desktop to stop moving??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.