Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save iTunes Library on Time Capsule

I am using a Mac Book Air with 128 GB SSD. I don't have enough space on the hard drive to keep the complete iTunes Library on my Mac Book Air.Is it usefull to save the iTunes Library on my Time Capsule?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:37 PM

You can do it, after certain reconfiguration, but it is a bad idea. The primary use of a Time Capsule is making a backup so you have two copies in case one drive fails. What will you do when your Time Capsule drive fails (and it will one day) and your only copy of the library is on it? Buy a separate external hard drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 1:37 PM in response to iPero

You can do it, after certain reconfiguration, but it is a bad idea. The primary use of a Time Capsule is making a backup so you have two copies in case one drive fails. What will you do when your Time Capsule drive fails (and it will one day) and your only copy of the library is on it? Buy a separate external hard drive.

Oct 8, 2015 11:21 AM in response to Limnos

• I don't like the idea with external hard drive as I always need to plugin the hard drive before I can access to the iTunes Library. However if I need to do this do you know if it is enough to use USB 3.0 hard drive with classical hard drive or is the performance much better if I buy a SSD drive? The SSD prices are much higher than for classical hard drives.
  • Also I have seen some hard drives with Thunderbolt instead of USB connection. Do I really feel a difference in performance if I buy a hard drive with Thunderbolt connection?

I have separat stored all files in my iCloud. So if my Time Capsule fails I can backup data from my iCloud.

Oct 8, 2015 12:42 PM in response to iPero

A standard external drive should be plenty.

Can you store your library file (the .itl one) in iCloud? I don't know, I don't have iCloud anything. Your library file has all your playlists, ratings.

You think you may be able to re-download media but if a distributor decides to no longer sell on the iTunes Store old items may disappear. Local copies you have will be okay.

Save iTunes Library on Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.