Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to move my iTunes Music folder from one external drive to another. Just drag and drop (135 GB)?

My iTunes Music folder (135 GB) is on an external drive which is running out of room and is also formatted MS DOS, I just discovered. I need to move it to another external drive which has plenty of room and is formatted Mac OS Extended, which will make it compatible with the wireless SONOS player I bought recently. Is this just a (lengthy) drag and drop procedure? Will I have any trouble pointing my iTunes at the new location after the file transfer? The computer is a year old iMac.

Thanks,

Gary

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 2:22 PM

21 replies

Oct 9, 2015 3:24 PM in response to Gary Mortensen

Yes, you can do this. I've done it multiple times.

First, make certain that your new external drive has the exact same name as your current one. Then, copy everything over, start iTunes and it will find your media files.

If you want to change the name of the volume, you can. Just copy everything over, launch iTunes and open Preferences, click Advanced and then point iTunes to the folder with your media content. It will rebuild your Library but then everything should be fine.

Aside, I've done this with terabytes of data multiple times, like I said. Just recently, actually, as I accidentally copied over the existing media folder with the iTunes Library folder and had to restore everything from a backup.

Oct 12, 2015 6:48 AM in response to Gary Mortensen

Thanks for the helpful replies; here's my setup:

I have an iTunes folder in Applications, which is on the internal hard drive. On the external drive, I have an iTunes folder which contains the following: folders titled Album Artwork and iTunes Music, and files named iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml.

Can I proceed with Limnos' plan to copy to another drive? My external drives all have different names: My Book, My Book2, My Book3.

Gary

Oct 13, 2015 3:39 PM in response to richard grant

OK, I've successfully copied my 135 GB iTunes folder to a different external drive, MY BOOK 3. This folder now exists on two different external drives, but I assume iTunes is still looking at the original folder, which is on MY BOOK. I looked in iTunes preferences but I can't find the setting that will point iTunes to the new location. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Oct 13, 2015 3:45 PM in response to Gary Mortensen

I'll answer my own question: "Start iTunes while holding down the option/alt key and select the file on the other drive." as Limnos told me several days ago.

I've done this and it seemed to work, but now all my playlists have disappeared. I assumed they'd be in the Library.itl file, but apparently not. I really can't afford to lose all that work, which is an archive of my radio shows. How do I gain access to all the lost playlists?

Gary

Oct 14, 2015 12:39 AM in response to Gary Mortensen

This is one of the reasons I don't keep my iTunes folder with the .itl Library file on my external drive...

Since you have restarted iTunes and selected that Library file as the one you want to load, it has rewritten itself and there is no way to recover the old Library file unless you still have a previous library folder in your iTunes folder. That might solve your problem.

But, you need to go to Preferences: Advanced and tell iTunes where your media is now. Chances are, the path is still for the old drive. Another reason I said to make certain that the external drives had the same name. iTunes is just lost and doesn't know where to look for your files without proper direction.

But, if you have rewritten your Library file, there is nothing you can do other than try to see if you have an old Library file.

Oct 14, 2015 8:31 AM in response to Gary Mortensen

Preferences > Advanced will not tell iTunes where you media are located. It only tells iTunes where you want to start storing new media from that point on.

Removing playlists from a library but leaving media locations would have to be done very deliberately. We are getting to a stage of detail now where you would have to recount every single move you did with iTunes for us to figure out why you are seeing this. Or perhaps you are not and it simply needs to be better described. 🙂

The basic working of iTunes is not very complicated but obviously something has gone wrong for you which means you likely had something non-standard in your set up. Because of this you need to understand a bit about how iTunes works so you can troubleshoot what is going wrong, otherwise you are going to have to explain things in great detail.. iTunes does not work with media files directly. Just about everything you see in a library window open in iTunes is the result of the iTunes Library.itl file. This has the playlists, and it also has the location information for each track you have entered. So when you decide to play track XYZ in iTunes, the application goes to the .itl file and plays the file in the location for that entry. This is why if you move the files to a different place iTunes will show a broken link, particularly if you move them to a different drive. If you move everything as a package (the whole iTunes folder), iTunes will use a local folder structure reference ("the file in this location on the same drive as this library") and keep track of it.

About iTunes library files - https://support.apple.com/HT201610 - Does not mention that a complete working library also includes other files and folders also in the iTunes folder.

More on iTunes library files and what they do - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes#Media_management

What are all those iTunes files? - http://www.macworld.com/article/139974/2009/04/itunes_files.html

Where are my iTunes files located? - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1391

iTunes 9 [and later]: Understanding iTunes Media Organization - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3847 - plus supplemental information about organizing to new structure https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6477809?answerId=26404702022#26404702022

You can look into using Time Machine. I do not have it on my computer and can only post a link: 06/2014 ChrisCA post: Restore iTunes library from Time Machine backup - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6374283?answerId=26104480022#26104480022 Useful tips where restoring to a new drive: http://pondini.org/TM/B6.html and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6811322?answerId=27599985022#27599985022 Make sure you go back far enough for the version you want. If Time Machine just backed up the "latest" version may be one you do not want.

Oct 14, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks, Limnos, for your thoughtful and detailed reply. I fear I've done real damage, though. The Library.itl files in both locations were apparently rewritten last night when I directed the iTunes desktop to them. Regarding Time Machine, I've asked online if it backs up external drives, and the answer is yes, as long as the drive is formatted OSX extended, which my original drive isn't. In fact, the only reason I wanted to change the location of my iTunes files was that my drive was formatted MS DOS, which prevented me playing the files on my Sonos device! So, I think I've really lost my playlists, and my genre "adjustments" which matter to me because they're the history of my radio shows, which is my main use of iTunes.

I guess, at this point, I should use "Add to Library" and point it toward my iTunes Music folder, which seems to be intact, and get a fresh start, does that make sense.?

Gary

Oct 14, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Gary Mortensen

I have never used Sonos. I have seen it mentioned here before but I don't remember people saying it has to be with a FAT drive. The only reason to use FAT is if you need to use a drive with a PC. Maybe Sonos does need it but others have not specifically mentioned it. I don't know but I would check.

The aforementioned Previous iTunes Libraries has copies of your library files which are archived every time you update iTunes. If you went to iTunes 12.3 recently there should be one from the last two weeks or so. You can use one of those to replace the main .itl. Make a duplicate of the most recent one (for safekeeping), remove the date part of the file name so it reads "iTunes Library.itl" and put it in place of the .itl you have been trying to use so far. If you have added new media since then the media files will, of course, still be in the media folder but will need to be re-added to the library in iTunes since the .itl does not know about those.

Oct 14, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Limnos

Just another thought. I do not have time to check with my iTunes right now (too much open and set up, plus I am busy cleaning windows before temperatures plummet Friday) but I am pretty sure if you try to open a new library where one exist it simply opens it, it does not create a new library file overwriting the one there.

I need to move my iTunes Music folder from one external drive to another. Just drag and drop (135 GB)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.