Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MBP (closed lid) with dual 34" ultra wide monitors

Hello!

I am looking at the LG 34UC97-S Ultrawide curved display, which can be daisy chained over thunderbolt. I see that's possible, but does anyone know if its possible using a 2011 Macbook Pro 15" with the Radeon 1G graphics? My goal would be to run 2 of these monitors chained over Thunderbolt on this laptop while closing the lid. In searching, looks like people are able to run this monitor (or similar 34" ultrawides) while the lid is open in a dual display mode, where the laptop screen is the primary monitor. But I don't want that, I want 2 - 34's with the laptop closed. Can my graphics card support this? Anyone tried this?

FYI, I think those LG 34's are 3440x1440 displays. (that's big, but quite a bit less than 4k, which I don't want) And my MBP is the 2011 15", i7, with 16G ram and the 1G radeon graphics. I have Yosemite 10.10.5. I'd be using the Thunderbolt connection.

Thanks for any advice,

Greg

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2015 7:42 PM

Hi I just got a LG 34UC97-S and have it running with my 2011 Macbook Pro 17". The 15" should be the same.

The documentation that comes with the display shows a bunch of 2013+ models that are supposed to work with this display and no info on the 2011. I can confirm that it works perfectly via 1 thunderbolt cable. Full 3440x1440 @ 60Hz and the macbook display is also active.

I don't have a second one to test what you asked, but at least one works. I did not see any confirmation on a 2011 working with these, so here you go.

User uploaded file

I think this monitor has the good ration of size and resolution to make the whole desktop readable nicely.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2015 7:42 PM in response to otheraddress

Hi I just got a LG 34UC97-S and have it running with my 2011 Macbook Pro 17". The 15" should be the same.

The documentation that comes with the display shows a bunch of 2013+ models that are supposed to work with this display and no info on the 2011. I can confirm that it works perfectly via 1 thunderbolt cable. Full 3440x1440 @ 60Hz and the macbook display is also active.

I don't have a second one to test what you asked, but at least one works. I did not see any confirmation on a 2011 working with these, so here you go.

User uploaded file

I think this monitor has the good ration of size and resolution to make the whole desktop readable nicely.

2011 MBP (closed lid) with dual 34" ultra wide monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.