Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 5.0.4 upgrade, web servers are no longer reachable over the internet

I upgraded Server to 5.0.4 from 5.0.3 yesterday. After upgrading, the server Websites panel reports the status:

Users may not be able to access websites from the internet

And for each of the individual web sites in the list server states:

Not reachable. This web site is not available over the internet

No further explanation as to what the actual problem is or how to solve it is given. What the ****, Apple?

I did a Time Machine backup just before upgrading, and haven't allowed another backup to be done, just in case I need to restore. But I really would like to get this up and running instead. After looking around at the configurations and finding nothing obvious wrong with them, I decided to try recreating the sites from scratch in the Server user interface.

First, I used the Server user interface to delete each of the site configurations in the Website panel list (except "Server Website" and "Server Website (SSL)" which cannot be deleted). I also removed corresponding configuration files (and any .prev and .orig files) in /Library/Server/Web/Config/apache2/sites. Then I reset the web service to factory settings with:

sudo serveradmin command web:command=restoreFactorySettings

Then I used the Server user interface to create a brand-new site configuration for one of my sites, setting the domain name, pointing it to the data files location, and so on. Yet even after saving the new configuration, the sites (both "Server Website" configurations as well as my new one) still say "not reachable".

Can someone please tell me what is wrong here?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 2:48 PM

12 replies

Oct 7, 2015 6:24 PM in response to ‹db›

Ok. I solved the issue myself. After trying to restore both /Applications/Server and /Library/Server/Web/ and not having good results, I decided to reinstall the new version of the Server application.

During initial startup after that I noticed the license agreement had a "Use Apple services to determine reachability for this server" (or something to that effect) check box at the bottom which was enabled by default. After disabling that checkbox and continuing first run, the web service was once again operational! 🙂

It looks like you can manually disable or enable reachability testing in the Server app under: server > Overview > Internet > Reachability Details.

Oct 8, 2015 8:55 AM in response to wineguy

I'm not sure what actually caused it to work again - and at this point I really don't care, honestly. You're probably right that the downgrade and re-upgrade had something to do with it. It seems like Apple's upgrade scripts are quite buggy!

Now I'm in the middle of figuring out why SSL connections are broken and a couple other things.

Apple really screwed this update up, IMHO.

Oct 8, 2015 9:01 AM in response to ‹db›

I solved my problem too. The hard way. I did a complete wipe and am starting over from scratched (backed up only the sites themselves). Nothing else seemed to work. Not reinstalling Server, not deleting or altering any of the Apache config files.

Long way to go to get it all back, but for now basic web service are restored and I can sleep (I am currently in Asia doing all of this remotely).

Oct 8, 2015 10:54 AM in response to ‹db›

The drama continues...

This new web proxy nonsense has completely screwed up web serving in OS X Server.

I'm pretty miffed that Apple would make such a drastic change with little to no warning or explanation to customers, nor any sort of active support to help them with these issues.

I'm about ready to just buckle down and spend a day or so installing an entirely separate Apache stack because this stupid proxy situation is causing more headache than it's worth! I'm guess I'm somewhat lucky I am not hosting anything really critical in OS X Server's web service at the moment. But I do have several web sites hosted by OS X Server and do want them to function correctly - preferably without having to spend a day installing and configuring what was already set up correctly in OS X Server! And I don't think that is an unreasonable position for me to take. If I am honest, I feel completely jilted by Apple.

One thing is certain: I'll forever be extremely wary of OS X Server updates from now on! This one has not been worth it.

After 5.0.4 upgrade, web servers are no longer reachable over the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.