Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boiling hot

I recently bought a MacBook Air. Brand new.

I REALLY want to return it, but the problem is, that its already over 14 days. I havent enjoyed a moment with it, i play ONLINE games and it starts almost to boil, its really frustrating. I cant even play a flash game without the computer fans going into jet-mode. BUT, the computer specs allow games to be played on it - like The Sims 4. Imagine what would happen if I would run that game??? I really want to get rid of it, but I cant, because it is impossible to sell the computer for almost the same price, and Apple wont let me return it. I dont know what to do, but I cant stand my MacBook.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 2:29 PM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2015 4:51 PM in response to edvardsoz

"cant even play a flash game without the computer fans going into jet-mode"

If the Mac is overheating see if an SMC reset helps > Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

And make sure it's well ventilated > Mac notebooks: Operating temperature

SIMS requirements:

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 9600M, 9400M,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better.

MEMORY: 4GB RAM

HARD DRIVE: 10 GB of Hard Drive space

Oct 7, 2015 9:32 PM in response to edvardsoz

Either something is wrong with your computer, in which case you have a warranty and online AppleCare support to resolve the situation, or it is your perception/expectation that is off. What I mean by the latter is that yes, when you put your computer's CPU under pressure it does get hotter and the MBA is designed to dissipate heat through the keyboard and through its aluminum body. The underside of the MBA does get quite toasty. I could never use my MBA or my current rMBP on my bare lap. BTW I play Diablo III and on the road I use my 2011 MBA. It does get toasty and I can hear the fans but it chugs along quite well.

Oct 8, 2015 12:00 PM in response to dwb

I use my MacBook Pro on my bare body a lot of the time. Yes, it gets warm. No, it usually does not get hot. I have never heard the fan(s?) come on.

In my experience, something is wrong with your Mac. If Carolyn's suggestions don't help, it's time to take it in to the Genius Bar to find out why this is happening and what can be done about it.

Edit: Sorry. Reply should have been to the original poster.

Boiling hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.