Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i fix my iMac serial number El Capitan corrupted

i upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan .. then discovered i could not sign into iTunes or into the AppStore with my apple id .. i validated my apple id but am only able to sign into iCloud .. El Capitan changed my iMac [model iMac7,1 ; Boot ROM ver IM71.007A.B03 ; SMC ver 1.20f4 ] system serial number from 11 characters to 10 characters , it lost the 6th number. I checked my other external bootable drives running Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, and Yosemite and each read/showed the changed serial number from the firmware in the logic board. Apple Care Telephone Support has indicated the resolution is to simply 'reformat my internal hard drive' and then 'restore the El Capitan software backed up using Time Machine'.

Has anyone done the above and successfully changed their corrupted serial number in their iMac??

Two years ago the Apple Store replaced my logic board. If the board were incorrectly replaced could the serial number have been changed, yet working okay with Maverick and Yosemite but not with El Capitan ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 2:01 PM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2015 2:34 PM in response to donniefromlasvegas

I don't know about OS versions, but I do know that a new logic board does in fact change things - the technician has to validate the new logic board with Apple. In my case, the tech performed the replacement here in my home (with Applecare) and did not do this while here. I found out after he left - I had no serial number showing at all. Fortunately, I had it written down; I called them, he returned, attached a special communications box/tool to a USB port and, once connected to Apple, input my serial number with the keyboard.

So, the tech may have missed this previously or entered it except for one character and you may not have needed it until now? FWIW, it has nothing to do with an incorrect replacement; rather, the serial number is on the logic board, so when a new one is put into place, your serial number will be missing. I'd guess the tech missed entering one number while registering.

As for being able to remedy an incorrect serial number with a hard drive erase/reinstall - I doubt that very seriously since a software install does not have anything to do with the logic board. I would propose that you take your iMac to your Apple store along with a receipt from the logic board replacement (or some sort of record) and ask them to reset the serial number.

Oct 12, 2015 6:53 AM in response to donniefromlasvegas

I have the same problem and having spent quite some tome researching the problem I think it is because the installation of El Capitan has somehow corrupted the serial no. on my Mac - when I check on About this Mac it says serial no. unavailable. whereas on my MacBoork Pro which I also upgraded I dont have the Apple ID login problem and the serial no. is shown

If you go to ROGERSM.NET there is a solution, I have yet to try it but others on the Apple Support Community seem to have done it, and solved the problem there is risk so you need to very carefully enter the serial no of your Mac

how do i fix my iMac serial number El Capitan corrupted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.