Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i print a page from Pages templates, sign it, scan back in and insert back into my templates and write in it?

I made a template for contracts. The third page is just for signatures & dates. Owner, contractor, date signed…I printed out the signature page, signed it, scanned it back into the Mac, and have been trying to save it as a template without much luck. It's a pain, to print out the contract, sign it, scan it (4 pages) back in so I can email it to the customer. If it already has my signatures, then i just have to put in the dates & customers name and email it. Can this be done?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 2:43 PM

Open your template. Either Insert menu ▸ Choose… and select the scanned PDF content to place it within your template document, or just drag and drop that PDF into your open template document where you want it. Once the current content is to your liking, save the Pages document into your Documents folder as a regular Pages document. Then, you can choose File menu ▸ Save as Template… and give it a new custom template name.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 2:43 PM in response to nupfold19

Open your template. Either Insert menu ▸ Choose… and select the scanned PDF content to place it within your template document, or just drag and drop that PDF into your open template document where you want it. Once the current content is to your liking, save the Pages document into your Documents folder as a regular Pages document. Then, you can choose File menu ▸ Save as Template… and give it a new custom template name.

Oct 7, 2015 5:08 PM in response to nupfold19

Are we talking Pages '09, or some release of Pages v5. The principal steps are the same but the user interface is different. If you scanned four pages into one PDF, then this will not work in Pages, as it cannot handle the insertion of multi-page PDF. You will need an individually scanned page for the four pages that you want placed in Pages.

The Recipe for Pages v5:

1. Create a new Pages document using your template that you want to augment.
  2. From the View menu, Show Page Thumbnails.
  3. Select the very last thumbnail, and then click Document from the Toolbar.
    1. Select the Section tab in the Document panel
    2. Uncheck Match Previous section, unless you want header/footer content to be replicated into your last four pages.
    3. Create a new section after this section. In the following image, assume page 1 is all of your prior template content. page 2 is the initial landing zone for your first PDF page, as the new section to receive your scanned PDF content.
      User uploaded file
    4. With the new section selected in the thumbnails, you click in the adjacent document body, and from the insert menu, you select Page break. You now have a new section page, and a regular document page within it (the indented thumbnail).
      User uploaded file
    5. Click on this last icon (page 3 in the thumbnails), and then click in the adjoining document body. From the Insert menu, click Page break again. Now you have the new section with two subordinate pages. Select the last thumbnail, click in its document body, and Insert one last Page break. You now have the section page, and three additional pages where you can insert your four individual PDF pages. This is a good time to save your work. File menu Save… and put it in your Documents folder. Use a slightly different name than the original for your updated template.
      User uploaded file
    6. Click on the new section thumbnail (see above) and then click in its adjacent document body. From the Insert menu Choose… or drag/drop the first scanned PDF page into this document location. While it is selected, you will want to visit the Arrange tab on the right panel, and set Text Wrap to None. Since PDF images are scaled down when dropped into Pages, you may also want to click on the Original Size button in the Arrange > Sizing section. Once you have your first PDF page deposited and positioned to taste — follow this pattern for each of the subordinate pages, until your four PDF pages are in place.
    7. File menu > Save.
    8. File menu > Save as Template… your document name from your first save will be used as the new custom template name.
    9. You now have an updated template that contains your four pages of individually scanned boiler plate.

Oct 8, 2015 7:04 AM in response to nupfold19

Pages '09 v4.3

1. Create a new Pages document using your template that you want to augment.
  2. From the View menu, select Page Thumbnails.
  3. Click on the last thumbnail, which in your existing template, is the last page of it.
  4. From the Insert menu, Section ▸ Blank (this will create a new blank section, and the beginning location for the first of your scanned pages)
  5. Click on this new section thumbnail, and then click in your document body.

You now want three additional pages associated with this new section.

1. Insert menu ▸ Page Break
    2. Click on the last thumbnail, and then its document body
    3. Repeat these i. and ii. steps until you have a new section with four document icons in it.
    4. The adjacent image shows a new section page, and three additional (page break) pages to receive your scanned documents.
      User uploaded file
  6. Save your document into Documents, and change its name to the new template name, not the same as the existing template. Pages will not overwrite templates.
  7. Click on the first icon of this new section, then click in the document body.
    1. Either drag/drop, or from the Insert menu ▸ Choose…, insert the first of four scanned PDF on this first page of your new section.
    2. In the Background Inspector, you may wish to disable Object Causes Wrap.
    3. In the Metrics Inspector, you will want to click Original Size to eliminate the default shrinkage that Pages performs.
    4. Move your deposited PDF into position.
  8. Proceed to click the next thumbnail in this section, and repeat the steps in 7.1 — 7.4, with one PDF per page, until you have populated each of the remaining three section pages with the individually scanned PDF images.
  9. Save your document.
  10. File menu ▸ Save as Template…
  11. Create a new document from this template, and determine that it is correct for your needs. Done.

Oct 8, 2015 1:50 PM in response to nupfold19

It's a contract. I wrote the whole thing in Pages (4 pages), and saved it as a template. I open it, fill in owners info, price & terms on first page. 2nd page is legalese for contracts. 3rd page has 5 lines for contractors & owners signatures and maybe ours as a subcontractor, plus a line for the date. Last page for scope of work we're bidding.

I solved the problem. I printed out the signature page, my husband signed his name on the line, I scanned it into the computer, reduced it to the borders of his signature. Opened up the template, eliminated the line for his signature, made all the lines one more space apart (up & down), inserted his signature where the old line was, and attached a line to the end of it, and extended to match the end of the other lines. Worked perfect. Just had to think "outside the box". Thanks for all your suggestions.

Oct 8, 2015 3:22 PM in response to Walt K

thanks Walt, that's what I did at first, but every time I tried to put it in that spot, it moved all the words above, below & to the side all over. After nothing else worked, I went back to that and eliminated the line that was there. Moved the sentences above & below another line away and inserted the signature. Added a line to the end to make it look more finished. And it worked perfect. So, yours would have been a good answer if I'd seen it first, but you'd still have to elaborate….

Oct 8, 2015 4:15 PM in response to nupfold19

When things scoot away like that it means word wrap is turned on for the offending item. Just turn wrap off and you can put it where ever you want. I'm glad you solved your problem.

Walt

Edit: Sometimes you have to have wrap on but it will move some text you don't want moved while moving some you do want moved. In that case, move the text you don't want to move to a higher layer above the wrapping object.

Can i print a page from Pages templates, sign it, scan back in and insert back into my templates and write in it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.