Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove items from "other" on my hard drive?

I have a Macbook Air with 121 GB of space. Currently operating on OS X Yosemite and I am trying to download the newest OS (El Capitan) and I can't because my hard drive doesn't have space. I've backed up and removed all items and what is taking up the most space is this "Other" category on my mac? I have no idea what that is.

I've tried clearing browser history and that barely made a dent, please help!

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 3:52 PM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2015 4:45 PM in response to alkda

First understand what OTHER really is:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202867

Download from the Internet OmniDuskSweeper and Grand Perspective (both free) and open them. They will show all of your files and the respective sizes. This should allow you to determine what file to delete or off load to an external HDD.

Do not forget to empty trash. Only then is space allocated for new data.

Ciao.

Oct 7, 2015 9:39 PM in response to alkda

See this article:

OS X: What is "other" space in About This Mac? - Apple Support

Also see this user tip from Kappy, a frequent and knowledgeable Apple Support Communities contributor:

What is "Other" and What Can I Do About It?

UPDATE - I had not seen Ogelthorpe's response when I responded, even though it occurred about five hours before mine. Ogelthorpe referenced the same article I did. Blame the Apple Support Communities website.

How can I remove items from "other" on my hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.