Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendars 'unmigrated' to El Capitan

All my 'on my mac' calendars were lost in the upgrade to El Capitan. I had five separate calendars saved on my mac (I don't use iCloud), and they didn't show up when calendar opened after the El Capitan upgrade. It appears they are stuck inside the username/library/calendar folder in a folder called 'unmigrated' with no way to migrate them.

I compared the ~library/calendars folder backup (from Yosemite) to the new one (El Capitan) and found an extra folder named 'unmigrated'. There were 5 .caldav folders in here which I assume are the missing calendars. I tried a restore from time machine of the whole calendars folder with the Calendar application closed and then I rebooted my macbook pro. When Calendar opened it showed an Updating Calendars window for about a minute, but my calendars were not restored. I looked back in the Calendar folder and the 'unmigrated' folder was back with the 5 .caldav folders inside. I closed Calendar and tried to simply move these folders out of the unmigrated folder, but they showed up back in there after opening Calendar again.

Is there any way to migrate these unmigrated calendars into El Capitan?

Calendar Version 8 (2092)

Macbook pro 13 (mid 2012) with 10.11 El Capitan -- 2.9 ghz intel core i7

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 4:13 PM

26 replies

Oct 7, 2015 4:28 PM in response to kpreb2

Back up the calendars then give Apple technical support a call. I had a similar problem once and they were able to give me the steps to resolve it. The deleted a couple settings files to resolve the issue. I switched to backing up my calendar via iCloud. When I switched back to backing it up using iTunes, I was unable to view anything even though I had restored a backed up copy of my calendar locally.

Howard

Oct 7, 2015 9:58 PM in response to kpreb2

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try to import one of the ICS files. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Oct 7, 2015 10:11 PM in response to Linc Davis

10/7/15 10:05:46.762 PM iconservicesagent[298]: -[ISGenerateImageOp generateImageWithCompletion:] Failed to composit image for descriptor <ISBindingImageDescriptor: 0x7fd85be0f240>.

10/7/15 10:05:46.762 PM quicklookd[935]: Error returned from iconservicesagent: (null)

That's the console log after trying to import the .ics file to calendar.

Oct 7, 2015 10:42 PM in response to Linc Davis

There are several folders ending with .calendar — Inside the unmigrated folder a typical path to get to the .ics files is:

DB7D0F5A-D07E-4FDE-94AF-87F19F046C8F.caldav>2B3FFF9A-4BB0-4832-914B-4FFA6D3AB0C9 .calendar>Events>0A1B3418-6183-47C1-A2B6-7C595860F361.ics

So it's basically: #.caldav>#.calendar>Events>#.ics

Calendar currently shows calendars for Facebook Events, Found in Mail, and US holidays. Missing are a calendar for Meetup events, and 5 calendars I had on my mac for tracking various things.

When I try to refresh calendars in the Calendar application, I get the following error in the Console Log:

10/7/15 10:39:02.668 PM CalendarAgent[254]: [com.apple.calendar.store.log.caldav.coredav] [Refusing to parse response to PROPPATCH because of content-type: [text/plain; charset="utf-8"].]

10/7/15 10:39:02.830 PM CalendarAgent[254]: [com.apple.calendar.store.log.caldav.coredav] [Refusing to parse response to PROPPATCH because of content-type: [text/plain; charset="utf-8"].]

Oct 11, 2015 12:50 AM in response to kpreb2

Apparently this is a unique problem, at least according to the local Apple store technical guy. No one had heard of this happening.

The only solution was to restore back to Yosemite and use the time machine backup to restore everything. Then export the calendars before upgrading to El Capitan again.

So if you have calendars 'On My Mac', in addition to a time machine backup, you might want to export the calendars as .ics files or move them to iCloud before the upgrade.

Oct 11, 2015 9:14 AM in response to kpreb2

If you migrate your calendars to iCloud, you will run into the same issue when you try to switch back to using a locally saved and synced calendar. That is what happened to me. When I tried to switch back, I was prompted to delete my iCloud iCal. As mentioned earlier, I manually restored a local Time Machine backup of my iCal folder to my home directory / library / calendars folder. They still were not recognized in iCal on my Mac and I coudn't synchronize events to my iPhone.

I called Apple tech support. A second level agent walked me through deleting a couple settings files. I was on the phone for 20-30 minutes. It eventually worked. It has been my experience that Apple still will provide free phone support even if I am outside the initial 90-day phone support period or if my device is out of warranty. Chat-based support is also available. Begin at https://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Howard

Oct 19, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

Your replies have helped me through many issues in the past and I am hopeful that you can help me with this same problem that kpreb2 had with Calendar.

I have the EXACT same issue after upgrading to El Capitan - all of my "On My Mac" calendars no longer appear in the Calendar app on my late-2013 MBP Retina running OS 10.11, Calendar version 8.0. After following your guidance and kpreb2's steps in this thread, I, too, see an "Unmigrated" folder in Library>Calendars, and this folder contains all of the "On My Mac" calendars that were fully visible and functional on Yosemite but not after installing El Capitan. kpreb2 opted to bring the machine to Genius Bar, but I really need to get this resolved before the next available appointments in my area so I am hopeful you can walk me through possible solutions.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as always! Thank you.

Oct 22, 2015 4:03 PM in response to albertinaspring

exactly the same problem for me. can't import ics backups which i made before upgrade to el capitan in yosemite. i don't use icloud...bad enough losing something as important as day to day diary without worrying about what else could get lost

obviously this is just a nightmare as all work related calendar entries have gone along with everything else...but frustratingly sitting in backup files which can't be imported...

Oct 23, 2015 5:29 AM in response to kpreb2

I too had this unique problem. The only way I solved it was to go into Library/Calendars/Unmigrated. In there are the old items for the 'on my mac' calendars. each of the .calendar folder contains an event folder, the nets folder has the ics files which I just selected and dragged onto the open El Capitan calendar application. These were imported. Some of the folders contained reminders rather than calendar info but the program warned me of that so I just cancelled that import.

Calendars 'unmigrated' to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.