Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps stay open after reboot in ios 9

I have an iPhone 5s and I noticed that upon powering on after closing all apps, 5 Apps remained open in the multitasking screen upon power up. I'm certain they were closed before reboot so I tested by swiping up on all apps from multitasking screen again, made sure all apps were shut down and performed the following steps:

Double click the Home button somewhat fast and then swipe up all the App preview panes until they disappears from the screen. There will be many active panes/apps there so do the above for all apps until the only one remaining is the Home screen. Then click on Home once. Then do a forced restart again. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

Upon restart it appears as if the 5 apps will not truly close out of the multitasking screen

They reappear as 'open' upon powering on the phone. I find this to be new since installing the latest version of iOS recently.

Special thanks to elcpu on a separate thread for initially trying to assist with this issue. Let me know what additional info I can provide to solve. Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 5:17 PM

12 replies

Oct 7, 2015 7:29 PM in response to EeSsBb

Home now... I have re-read all the posts on the other thread and your new one here. My understanding, and please correct me if any of this is not true, is that:

iPhone 5s had no issues on 8.4.1. On the other thread you stated "They reappear as 'open' upon powering on the phone".

What do you mean by reappear as open? Open on the multitasking window? The other fellow just had one App that would open automatically upon a restart, the Settings App. My understanding of his issue is that Settings somehow comes up by itself. Your case appears different. Obviously you can only see one App at a time on the screen so are you referring to 5 active in the multitasking window even though you closed them all prior to shutting the phone off?

You have tried a forced restart. That did not work. You then closed all Apps in multitasking and then did a forced restart again. Upon powering up the same 5 apps still appear in multitasking, is that correct?

If all this is true, then it is likely that your system (or an App) got corrupted during the update to iOS 9. Did you do the update over the air or through iTunes? OTA updates, while they work 99+% of the time, are not as reliable as updating through iTunes (OTA only downloads files that have changed, iTunes downloads all files). My suggestion at this time is to do a full restore as per the instructions below. A restore through iTunes will install a fresh copy of iOS 9.0.2 in your iPhone. Barring a hardware defect (unlikely since the problem started right after the update but NOT out of the question), a restore should put you back in near new condition. If it does not work, then your may have a defective device and would need to take it to an Apple Store or Authorized Dealer for evaluation. Hopefully the Restore will fix it.

Please follow the instructions in the article below. The process is rather straight-forward as iTunes will guide you along the way. You will have to disable Find my iPhone first. Don't forget to set it back to On when you are through (if it does not happen automatically) and also set Send Last Location to ON.

Connect your device to your computer. Then import all your photos from the device to the computer and copy all important documents directly to your computer as well. Then do a full backup to iTunes, just follow the instructions in the article. Then select Restore iPhone and iTunes will install a fresh copy of the current iOS and will erase all your data and settings. After iTunes has installed a fresh copy of the iOS, it will ask you if you want to set your device as New or restore from Backup. Choose From Backup. Restoring from backup will bring back all your Settings, Apps, Photos on Camera Roll, etc. You should not lose anything.

After completion check to see if works ok now. There is a possibility that restoring from the backup may bring back the system/app corruption. If this occurs (unlikely) you would have to start over again, set it up as New and install all Apps manually (a time consuming process). You would also lose your photos and documents so it is important to back them up first as I mentioned above. I have done this procedure several times in the past and restored from backup with no difficulties - it takes 30-50 minutes. One time however, it had to set my iPad as New due to a Photos App corruption issue - it took me quite a while to then reconfigure all settings and apps again so be warned that this, while not likely, is possible. Good luck.

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Oct 7, 2015 9:01 PM in response to elcpu

Thanks for your help. I appreciate the time and effort. You are correct I had 5 active apps in the multitasking window even though I closed them all prior to shutting the phone off.

Although I did my update through iTunes rather than OTA I know your suggestion to restore is likely the solution. I'll try it. Thanks again.

Nov 22, 2015 8:09 AM in response to EeSsBb

I noticed this problem this morning on my iPad Air 2 which has iOS 9.1. The specific apps that kept starting after a "reboot" were inRoute, Google Maps, Books and the App Store. I would close them all, reboot, and they would again show up in the multitasking "mode" (following a double click on the Home Button). I tried disabling multi-tasking and turning off other things just to see if it would make a difference but to no avail. Finally, I deleted inRoute and Google Maps (both of which, btw, are mapping/location apps) using the standard approach (press and hold on an app icon until they all jiggle then press the X on the ones you want to delete). I did NOT delete Books but it was, again, "closed". Then I did a reboot and all of them were gone from the multi-tasking view. What I found interesting is that the Books and App Store apps also were no longer showing up following the close/reboot action. Which suggests there was some issue with one of the apps I deleted which in fact affected Books and the App Store.

So, one suggestion is to identify the apps that are reappearing following a reboot even when they have been closed before the reboot. Then delete those apps from your device - or at least those apps which you can delete. You also may want to see if any of those apps which are reappearing are "mapping" or location apps. If so, maybe try closing only those first. The two apps I closed were both of this type. It may have only been one of them but it was interesting that they were both location/maps apps. (inRoute is sort of like Google Maps on steroids.)

I have not yet observed this issue on my iPhone. But it is a new iPhone 6s and came with iOS 9 preinstalled. But that was not the case with my iPad Air 2 where I upgraded "over the air".

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Nov 23, 2015 8:27 AM in response to drhiggins

I'd like to share what worked for me. Not sure when it all started, but like many I had several apps, including apple stock apps like clock and calendar staying open in the background after a reboot. Prior to rebooting they had been swiped away or closed. Each reboot the same 10 or so apps would reappear. Restoring to factory settings and then restoring the backup did not fix the issue. Uninstalling each app and then re-installing them did not fix the issue. The only thing that worked for my phone was a reset of all settings. It makes sense that restoring a backup would reintroduce the problem that was going on before the backup was saved. Saving the back-up is an exact image of your device, problems and all. Hope this helps!

Nov 23, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Jon32709

Jon32709 wrote:

I'd like to share what worked for me.

The only thing that worked for my phone was a reset of all settings. It makes sense that restoring a backup would reintroduce the problem that was going on before the backup was saved. Saving the back-up is an exact image of your device, problems and all. Hope this helps!

Good suggestions, Jon. The idea for a "Reset All Settings" should help those still having the issue and is less drastic than a Restore as New.

You are correct that restoring a backup can reintroduce an issue IF the issue is caused by the Apps or settings themselves. It will not reintroduce the issue if it is due to corrupted iOS files as the iOS is refreshed as new. A Restore is not an exact image of your device, just an image of the contents and settings in the device as a new copy of the core iOS is installed even when restoring from backup. In those cases where a Restore brings back the issue, the user usually has to Restore as New, a time consuming process. However, it Resetting all Settings works this would be far easier and something to try first.

Thanks for your comments. 🙂

Apps stay open after reboot in ios 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.