Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TUNEUP MY MAC KEEPS POPPING UP

I HAVE A MAC BOOK PRO. THERE IS A TUNEUP MY MAC THAT KEEPS POPPING UP AND SAYS SCANNING MY COMPUTER AND I NEED TO PURCHASE IT. DO I NEED MALWARE OR VIRUS PROTECTION ?

MacBook Pro, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:33 PM

DO I NEED MALWARE OR VIRUS PROTECTION ?

Install nothing even remotely resembling that description.

Nothing is scanning your computer. What you are encountering is a meaningless animation. You may have inadvertently installed adware. You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

For a description of how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for Apple's recommended actions read How to install adware. Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

Review your Gatekeeper settings: OS X : About Gatekeeper - Apple Support. Gatekeeper is designed to help prevent you from inadvertently installing garbage software.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2015 5:33 PM in response to CD5580

DO I NEED MALWARE OR VIRUS PROTECTION ?

Install nothing even remotely resembling that description.

Nothing is scanning your computer. What you are encountering is a meaningless animation. You may have inadvertently installed adware. You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

For a description of how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for Apple's recommended actions read How to install adware. Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

Review your Gatekeeper settings: OS X : About Gatekeeper - Apple Support. Gatekeeper is designed to help prevent you from inadvertently installing garbage software.

TUNEUP MY MAC KEEPS POPPING UP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.