Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAME 0.135 breaks under OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)??

Has anyone else experienced MAME 0.135 breaking after installing El Capitan OSX? My MAME will start and operates normally until I open a game window. Game windows remain blank, although I seem to hear game sounds when pressing various significant keys. Is there any way to restore correct functioning?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 2:33 PM

This sounds like Mame OS X as opposed to another variant. If so go to the menu MAME OS X -> Preferences and select the Video tab.

Then in the video options, near the bottom there are Rendering Options. Change the dropdown for 'Render Frames Using:' from automatic, to Open GL.

20 replies

Aug 26, 2017 6:20 AM in response to Joe X. Jones

Why anyone would want to run a 9 year old emulator on modern Mac hardware with a modern Mac OS is beyond my mind to wrap any logic around.

The very last update was in 2009.

That was around the time of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I would not expect this to run on any other later OS X versions.

If anyone got this working on later OS X versions, like perhaps OS X 10.10 Yosemite and later, it must run like garbage and slow the Mac OS way down.

Oct 9, 2015 1:17 AM in response to Joe X. Jones

Glad it worked. It was actually your post mentioning the sounds working which made me dig around a bit more. I hadn't noticed that the game was actually running, just not being rendered and knew there were some rendering options.

If it ever breaks in the future, there's always SDL MAME, which you can find at http://mamedev.org/This should always be the latest build of MAME, but it's not quite so user friendly as MAME OS X.

Oct 27, 2015 11:22 AM in response to vickerrrrs

I tried OpenEmu as suggested by vickerrrs. It started out with great promise. OpenEmu installs seamlessly - just download it and place the app in your Applications folder. Make sure you install the "Experimental" build or you will lack support for mame. (The regular OpenEmu build appears to emulate home consoles only.) OpenEmu even downloaded the mame "core" when it determined the core was not installed. OpenEmu starts right up and has a fully graphical interface. No more using the tab key to get to the game control mappings as in MAME OSX.

The area where OpenEmu fails to match MAME OSX is in the control mappings. MAME OSX allows you to map each of the arcade game's controls to your own controller. For me, that's a PS3 controller. OpenEmu only allows you to map the following: left, right, up, down, and buttons 1 through 6. The mappings you choose apply to all games. That works well enough for simple games like pac man or galaxian, which use a joystick and maybe a button or two, but arcade games that have complex controls might not be playable on OpenEmu. I tried crazy climber, which has two joysticks in the arcade version, and it just can't be played because the controls can't be mapped under OpenEmu. In fairness, most games have only one joystick and fewer than six buttons, so OpenEmu should be fine.

I found that more of my roms failed to play under OpenEmu than MAME OSX, after making the preferences correction identified by vickerrrs in an earlier post. I'm not sure why that is. The upshot is that I've gone back to MAME OSX. I haven't yet tried SDL MAME.

MAME 0.135 breaks under OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.