Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6S Plus blurry/out of focus videos in iMessage

Hi, anybody noticed that if you try to create a video from the Message app, the iPhone 6s Plus is out of focus? It seems to be a software issue but possibly specific to this model because if you record the video from the Camera app, the focus is done properly and I couldn't reproduce the issue with an iPhone 5. No problem when you take a picture...I don't think it's a hardware issue, otherwise the video output would also be out of focus in the camera mode, which is not the case.

Just wondering if I am crazy or not!

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 7:04 PM

12 replies

Oct 21, 2015 7:00 PM in response to patrickrivard

You are definitely not crazy. I have the exactly the same problem, which I just noticed it today. I took it into the Apple Store, wasted my 3 hours of time, and they can't do a single thing about it. Just hope the next iOS update would fix it. As you said, it probably is not a hardware issue.

How can we get Apple to notice it? It is very irritating!

Nov 27, 2015 6:14 PM in response to patrickrivard

I took mine in store and they replaced my handset but the issue remained. Mine is a 128gb 6s plus in gold (not my choice).

there is now a further issue in that the replacement handset cannot restore from the previous 6S plus backups. Keychain information, message history, phone and FaceTime history all fails to restore. They are now becoming aware of it and the engineers are trying to fix the issue but seems like iCloud backup and imesage video are both in need of a fix. Restoring from a backuo made before I upgraded works but means losing all data since that backup.

Nov 28, 2015 5:08 PM in response to patrickrivard

I also have the same issue on my 64gb 6s plus. I went to the apple store to get my phone replaced and they were hesitant but the gave in and gave me a replacement phone but the camera still wont focus in the message app. After messing with my new phone I change the camera settings to record in 1080p at 60fps instead of 4k and sure enough the camera focuses perfectly in the app but only in 1080. The only way I could get it to focus in 4k was to simply press and hold the camera icon in the app and slide up to the red dot for video. This will allow it to record in 4k. Only downside is that you have to keep holding the record button or else it will stop recording. I hope this helps everyone until apple will get this issue resolved hopefully with the next ios update.

Dec 25, 2015 3:22 AM in response to patrickrivard

this is the same issue I get with my 6s plus. I record it and video quality is fine but I send it through iMessage then the recipient sees blur. What usually works (or at least used to work) is sending it through AirDrop. Of course, the next issue is both iPhones must be on wifi and within the same vicinity of one another for that to work. Hope that helps. If not, sorry if I led you astray.

Oct 2, 2016 12:22 PM in response to patrickrivard

I also have this problem on my iPhone 6SE. It only became a problem in the last couple days, and I have not updated my phone to OS 10, and have not done any updates what-so-ever to make this a problem. It wasn't a problem, and then all of a sudden it was. Apple may be doing unauthorized updates? Or making the phone do screwy things on purpose so you have to update.

iPhone 6S Plus blurry/out of focus videos in iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.