Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Protected Need a Clean Reinstall

It seems I have a problem, I purchased a used Mac Mini (Late 2012) as bankrupt stock. Unfortunately the mac is "Password Protected" and I do not as yet have a thunderbolt monitor (planned to use HDMI TV for now). So is there any way I can erase the drive and clean re-install Yosemite bearing in mind there is no Install DVD or can the Apple Store or Mac Dealer wipe the mac for me?

I would be grateful for any help on this one, I know it would appear dodgy but it is a legit Mac Mini. I have receipts and everything.

Thanks ED

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, + G-Tech Ext Hard Drives

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 9:45 PM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2015 1:13 AM in response to Eight Days

What do you mean by PW protected?

Are you seeing this:

Lock icon

User uploaded file

If you set a firmware password on your Mac, you might see a lock icon at startup if you try to start your Mac from another volume like an external drive or OS X Recovery. Enter your firmware password to continue starting up.

If yes then:

When you set a firmware password, make sure it's one you'll remember. You might want to write it down somewhere so that you don't forget it. If you forget your firmware password, you'll need to bring your Mac to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to unlock your Mac.

Otherwise do this

What to do before selling or giving away your Mac

Oct 8, 2015 7:39 AM in response to Eight Days

Then, as I previously said, do this.

What to do before selling or giving away your Mac

Apps and other software like the OS itself is locked to the account that originally "purchased" them.

There are ways to reset the Admin Passwords but you would not be able to update ny app or even the OS itself son you have to reinstall the OS as described in the article.

Password Protected Need a Clean Reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.