Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spigen Magnetic Air Vent - Is it safe ?

Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading to an iPhone 6S from my Xperia Z3. I found a really interesting car mount:

http://www.spigen.com/products/magnetic-air-vent-mount

It uses magnets to keep the phone in place. You put a metal plate inside the case, and then "stick" it onto the magnet that sits in the air vent.

I have tested it, as my mate got one, and it holds on surprisingly strong - even when you hit the bumps.

The question, however, is - is it safe for the phone to sit near such a strong magnet ? I looked all over the internet and couldn't find any definitive answers or so to speak - answers backed by anything.

If someone from Apple could perhaps confirm it, that would be great. Many thanks!

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2017 3:49 AM

According to " Accessory Design Guidelines for Apple Devices", Release R1, 2016-09-15.

Page 11, section 2.2 Magnetic Interference.

2.2 Magnetic Interference

Apple recommends avoiding the use of magnets and metal components in accessories.

All accessories that claim to be compatible with Apple devices that contain a digital compass (magnetometer) must minimize interference with the digital compass and must not repeatedly trigger compass recalibration. Additionally, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone 6 Plus have an autofocusrear camera equipped with optical image stabilization (OIS) that may be affected by magnets and metal components in accessories. Accessories that claim compatibility with these Apple devices must not affect the operation of the autofocus rear camera.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2017 3:49 AM in response to Sobaseki

According to " Accessory Design Guidelines for Apple Devices", Release R1, 2016-09-15.

Page 11, section 2.2 Magnetic Interference.

2.2 Magnetic Interference

Apple recommends avoiding the use of magnets and metal components in accessories.

All accessories that claim to be compatible with Apple devices that contain a digital compass (magnetometer) must minimize interference with the digital compass and must not repeatedly trigger compass recalibration. Additionally, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone 6 Plus have an autofocusrear camera equipped with optical image stabilization (OIS) that may be affected by magnets and metal components in accessories. Accessories that claim compatibility with these Apple devices must not affect the operation of the autofocus rear camera.

Jan 15, 2017 11:14 PM in response to Sobaseki

I tried using my Iphone 5s with Magback by Tech Sense Lab. I thought it would be a good product to stick my mobile on the car vent when driving. However after 2-3 days my phone refused to start and it was dead blank. On taking it to repair shop I was informed that the motherboard has been effected and it needs to be replace. Magnetic Holder cost me around 500 INR and mobile repairing 5000 INR.

Seriously not worth for your main phone, however would suggest if you have any second or spare phone or for navigation purpose you can try but definitely not for your primary phone.

Jan 17, 2017 1:21 AM in response to abhiemall

Dear Abhi,

As discussed with you, while it is disappointing that your phone has gone blank. The cause for this is certainly not the Magback Mobile mount.

We ourselves are big fans of apple products and have been using the Magback with various iPhones for years now. As referenced in our discussions other than the Compass being affected nothing else in the iPhone is affected by the Magnets.

You can also see thousands and thousands of reviews for magnetic mounts on Amazon USA.

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=magnetic%20mount&index=blended

No where will you find a case of a phone dying because of a magnetic mount. It was certainly a co-incidence in your case where the phone died, but it was absolutely NOT because of the Mount. The iphone does not have a physical spinning hard disk, which are susceptible to strong magnets.

Please reach out to us on care (at) Tech Sense Lab(dot) com if you would like to discuss this further.

<I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link>

Jan 18, 2017 8:52 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

I tried a similar product (different brand). After several instances of my phone falling to the floor, I trashed it. The magnet is a great idea but a bumpy road with a stiff suspension is a recipe for disaster.

Have to agree ,sounds like a good idea but I find the same iPhone slips down and fails to grip sufficiently

Apr 7, 2017 3:04 AM in response to Sobaseki

I just bought a Spigen Kuel A200 Magnetic Air Vent Car Mount (SGP11583) for my iphone.

My phone/screen starts to play-up as soon as the magnet card was placed at the back of the phone. Cable Charging was also affected as it won't charge until magnet card has been removed.

I have taken the whole thing off the phone now but my screen is still a bit funny.😢

I am only speaking from my own experience and I know there are a lot of other people who absolutely love the product.

I would like to love it too, it is such a good little gadget, would be nice if it worked for me!😟

Oct 8, 2015 2:33 AM in response to Sobaseki

The strongest field will be between the magnets and the metal plate, and much less will reach the phone innards. Anyway, a permanent magnet won't be strong enough to damage anything in the phone. (A really strong electromagnet, such as a MRI scanner, could affect the magnets in the phone's speakers.)

The steel plate in the case will affect the phone's compass, though, even when not on the magnetic mount.

(Not speaking for Apple, of course.)

Oct 8, 2015 7:26 AM in response to Sobaseki

only 2 things can be damaged by magnets

1 crt screens (the old tv which was not lcd)

2 magnetic storage harddrives (ios devices use flash storage) with the harddrivers it has to be an electric magnet to be powerful enough

when being exposed to magnetism however the compass app will not function correctly but when the magnet is got it goes back to normal

Nov 7, 2015 11:07 AM in response to Rudegar

if a magnet is strong enough can make small weak magnets on the components and interfere with something permanently, but mus be a really strong magnet to do than... i think that you must be careful to put magnets near the camera on iphone 6/6S + cause of the auto focus, that is by hardware... it must have a lot of sensors... but as i said before... for a permanent damage it must be a really strong magnet that can create weak magnets.

i have the magnetic air vent mount and i think is safe... just dont use it with the credit card holder cases. 😉

Jul 24, 2016 12:24 AM in response to Sobaseki

From many sources, I've heard the compass is the only thing effected.

For me, the majority of use for a phone mount is when using maps to navigate somewhere. I understand GPS isn't compass, however correct me if I'm wrong but maps does use the compass to determine direction, so I could see this being a fairly large inconvenience for one of the main uses of such a mount.

Spigen Magnetic Air Vent - Is it safe ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.