Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

INFECTED TIME MACHINE

I need help understanding and deleting this.

I am not at all IT savvy - Sophos anti virus has said I have this:

/Volumes/backupdisk/Backups.backupdb/kim...Attachments/78121/2/VYS-40144RA-41791 .cab

and it has to be manually cleaned up.

How do I do that?

Will infections in the back up disk affect the performance of the computer? My imac is so very slow to perform any task, open any window or site.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kim

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:53 AM

1. Back up your Mac if you have not done so already. To learn how to use Time Machine read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support.
  2. Uninstall "Sophos". Use the Remove Sophos Anti-Virus program. It will be installed in your Mac's Applications folder, unless you moved or deleted it. In that case, follow their uninstallation instructions here: https://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/122710.aspx
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2015 5:53 AM in response to Kimmo1

1. Back up your Mac if you have not done so already. To learn how to use Time Machine read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support.
  2. Uninstall "Sophos". Use the Remove Sophos Anti-Virus program. It will be installed in your Mac's Applications folder, unless you moved or deleted it. In that case, follow their uninstallation instructions here: https://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/122710.aspx

Oct 8, 2015 6:06 AM in response to Kimmo1

You should not delete anything from TimeMachine: this is a "cumulative" backup system and thus a file can have a lot lot of partial changes in time, deleting one will frustrate the system.

Sophos is counterproductive with the security systenm in OSX, like all anti-virus alternatives. No AV app should run in "on access" mode (which means that it checks all accessed files/apps at the moment of access), because that will criple the mac (at the least). So there is only one comment: uninstall it.

INFECTED TIME MACHINE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.