Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deinterlacing and "View Settings" window?

1. Where has the "View Settings" window in the Inspector gone?

UPDATE ! Found it . . . I was selecting the project rather than the clip.

How would you deinterlace using the Settings window controls?

2. I know you can deinterlace by simply dropping the interlaced footage into a progressive project but is this the best way? I've done a few tests comparing the video and also frame shots full-screen at close range and they look very good.

3. When dropping into a progressive timeline does FCP X simply discard even or odd lines or does something more sophisticated happen?

Message was edited by: Ian R. Brown

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mac mini i5 2.5GHz & iMac FCP X

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 1:01 AM

6 replies

Oct 8, 2015 6:57 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

If you make a clip progressive using the Info Settings tab, and put the clip in an interlaced project, the clip will be interlaced on output. You can see the interlacing in the viewer, so there's no point in setting it to progressive in this instance. If you put the interlaced image in a progressive project the output is progressive. I don't know now it does the deinterlace. It doesn't appear to be simply discarding a field. Look at an interlaced H.264 file, something with a quick pan is good, in the QTX player and you'll see the effect you get in FCP when you put an interlaced clip in a progressive project.

Personally the QTX behavior is a bugbear of mine because it's really misleading to the user. You'll see no real interlacing, think all is good, put it on the web, and in every browser, including Safari, you'll see the interlacing that you don't see in the QTX player.

Deinterlacing and "View Settings" window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.