Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto & Photos library - Duplicates??

I am very confused. I appear to have a considerable amount of duplicates and even triplicate files, mostly they are in the iPhoto library (used for Aperture) and Photos library (used for nothing by me). Are they really duplicates or just links and how do i delete the files.

I need to free up space on my hard drive and there appears to be 54Gb of movies that I cannot find using Finder, I have run duplicate detective and this shows loads of .mov files duplicated, when i use aperture to delete they disappear on aperture but remain in the folder. I am concerned that if i use duplicate detective to delete them the iPhoto library will be corrupted

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 2:14 AM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2015 4:37 AM in response to clr99

I used to use iPhoto and then upgraded to Aperture, when installing I opted to use the iPhoto library as all my images were there. Photos came along as a 'replacement' for both and when i opened Aperture; Photos opened as well. I have never actually used Photos and don't want it but looking at Finder there does appear to be two distinct directories and they are virtually the same size which leads me to suspect that they are the same single library with links

iPhoto & Photos library - Duplicates??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.