Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD Settings via Profile Manager

Hello all,

Trying to solve an issue here. At my current institution, all users are local admins. This means they can pretty much change anything on the machine, except that I have profile manager pushing settings to the machines which they cannot change. Thus, I was hoping to have all of the settings that I don't want them to be able to override coming from profile manager. This has worked pretty well, and I have found the "configure custom settings" option in Profile Manager to be super helpful here. On to my question: a small number of users turn off Remote Management in system preferences because they they don't like the idea that I can remote in to any machine. It isn't really up to them (as their admin it's kind of up to me) but at this point I haven't been able to stop them. I was really counting on the fact that I could configure a custom setting for the ARD agent that would prevent them from turning anything off. My searching however has caused me to conclude that the ONLY way to create settings for the ARDagent (other than from the GUI in System Preferences > Sharing) is to use the kickstart command via the command line. This just seems kind of impossible to me, as I would expect there to be a plist somewhere that contains this information that I can push out to all machines and lock in place. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 7:31 AM

15 replies

Oct 9, 2015 6:41 AM in response to myrkridianrhapspody

I have somewhat the same issue except I would like to configure for new systems that I add to MDM. When I add machines I have the enrollment profile add systems to groups that control everything from binding to AD to setting finder pref's and network mounts. I have been unable to find a way to set remote management set to the settings needed to be able to control the machine form as soon as it is added to the groups.

Oct 9, 2015 7:03 AM in response to myrkridianrhapspody

We are a small shop so I have not gone the image route with new machines as it just takes a minute or two to setup new systems (rarely setting up more than 2-3 at a time) with the mobileconfig files on a thumb drive. I just have the temp network, trust and new device enrollment configs and execute those. Then PM handles the rest. I may go that route if no other option though.

Oct 9, 2015 7:13 AM in response to keithfromvirginia beach

You can just use a .cmd file that asks for credentials and utilizes the kickstart command. For example, I run:

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -activate -configure -access -on -users USERNAME -privs -all -restart -agent -menu

With USERNAME being your admin account. I have it all set up on the base image though, not as a post-install script.

Oct 9, 2015 7:42 AM in response to keithfromvirginia beach

Not being dense... you wouldn't actually do this via PM, and I'm not sure you can. If you could find a way, you would solve the thread! The only possible way would be to somehow use the login hook, but from what I hear that's deprecated and also a bit complicated. The way I do it is I run the command on my base image, capture the image and then use that image on all new machines. You could use something like deploystudio to do this. You could also run a script via deploystudio although I believe scripts in deploystudio do not allow user input (which sudo would invoke). Otherwise, just create your script and run it on each machine as part of the post setup, when you are installing your profiles. This way you don't have to going into system prefs > sharing and start clicking boxes and whatnot. If you don't want to (or know how to) create an executable then just copy/paste your particular kickstart commands into terminal. I do that from time to time.

Oct 10, 2015 5:39 PM in response to myrkridianrhapspody

There are technical solutions (read the man page for 'security') but they are complicated. It seems to me that your issue is a personnel one. You need to thrash out a proper policy about who has admin privileges and what they may be used for.

The most basic protection is to make sure that every machine has at least two accounts, one 'admin' and the other 'user' that is configured to allow the user to do their day to day work.

C.

Nov 16, 2015 7:23 AM in response to myrkridianrhapspody

There isn't a way to do this from profile manager, you still need to distribute to systems that are not allowing access in via ARD or SSH as they're at default settings. What I did is use TextWrangler (don't use textedit) and paste the following string I put together. Change <YOUR LOCAL ADMIN ACCOUNT> to your admin account name

Script

# set up SSH access in from your admin account

sudo dseditgroup -o edit -d admin -t group com.apple.access_ssh

sudo dscl . append /Groups/com.apple.access_ssh user <YOUR LOCAL ADMIN ACCOUNT>

sudo dscl . append /Groups/com.apple.access_ssh GroupMembership <YOUR LOCAL ADMIN ACCOUNT>

sudo dscl . append /Groups/com.apple.access_ssh groupmembers `dscl . read /Users/<YOUR LOCAL ADMIN ACCOUNT> GeneratedUID | cut -d " " -f 2`

sudo systemsetup -setremotelogin on

# set up ARD to allow access to your account

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -configure -allowAccessFor -specifiedUsers

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -configure -users nsadmin -access -on -privs -DeleteFiles -ControlObserve -TextMessages -OpenQuitApps -GenerateReports -RestartShutDown -SendFiles -ChangeSettings

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -configure -activate -restart -console

exit0

Now the problem with admin users can be that they may try to remove anything they see as being limiting or allowing administration by you- so my next step was to name the script something that isn't obvious and hide it in the private folder somewhere, try something Unix-ish sounding.. Then download Lingon (its in the App store)- you're going to create a launch agent that will automatically apply these settings with each reboot using elevated privileges. I did it as root on the computer and I tested with before rolling it out. This is handy as you will revert any changes the user makes to your settings here.

You'll have the option to set when these are applied using the in the app- those are just application features you'll need to learn about to get the most out of it. (I can't help with it)

Now it isn't good to have to set up each computer this way (manually) so make another copy of that script. Download something like Iceberg and use this as preflight script. The Exit 0 I place in the script above gives the success signal the package installer is waiting for to continue. Running the package installer will run the script then install the settings.. They'll then run again at restart or login, whatever you selected.

Now test. Did the package run the script and place the launch agent and script into your chosen location? Did your share settings get switched to what you wanted? Adjust as needed. Remove the settings in the Sharing pref pane with each test to be sure its working.

It is far easier to create a one-stop-drop like this and visit people's computers for the small install of around 39k. Once this is done you have your way in, users won't easily find and disable your script and when working, it will self-heal any changes made by local admins in the GUI every time they start up the Mac.

Nov 16, 2015 10:43 AM in response to Alan Ramos

I don't think that the 'security via obscurity' approach is wise here - what you are proposing could easily be mistaken (?) for malware. My recommendation would be to leave the file in plain sight and put a comment at the top of it saying something along these lines:

# This file has been installed by XXX with the authority of the CTO (memo ref/date). Its purpose is to allow

# remote management and maintenance of this machine and removing it or interfering with its functioning

# without the written authority of a C-level executive is a serious disciplinary offence.

Some countries have privacy laws that even extend some protections to individuals using their employer's machines, so you need to make sure that whatever you do complies with these as well. It's also good practice to ensure that the login screen of all machines with this sort of spyware setup on them makes it clear that the use it being monitored.

C.

Nov 16, 2015 11:59 AM in response to cdhw

I'm not budging on hiding scripts. There is a clear need to manage the system by the department responsible for doing so here. Stating or quoting policy is secondary to the goal of getting these computers managed. The script should be out of reach and preferably out of view of end users or they'll sudo rm -rf it off the hard drive. If they're savvy enough to know what to look for an find it they'll remove it.

I don't think I would waste my own time warning people not to push the big red button. Put the button out of reach and behind lock and key- on your own authority to do so as IT.

ARD Settings via Profile Manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.