Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting all iCal events on "floating" time-zone

First of all, how do I use iCal ? I am a classical music conductor, giving concerts in many different countries. I write in iCal systematically my flights, rehearsals, concerts etc…

Wherever these are, I actually need them to appear exactly the same in iCal, no matter where in the World I am sitting at my computer. For instance, if I have a rehearsal with an orchestra in London at 10:00 Tuesday next week, I need to see that rehearsal displayed in iCal at 10:00 am Tuesday next week, now that I am sitting in Copenhagen (different time-zone), and I also need to see it written exactly the same when I will have arrived in London on Monday night, when my computer will have switched automatically to the London time. In fact, I need to switch the time-zone to “floating“ for this kind of information.

The thing is : I have to manually switch the time zone on floating for ALL my data in iCal, which is a drag…

What would really make me the happiest man on Earth would be to be able to tell iCal in it’s preferences that I want all my new events in “floating” time zone.

This i suspect would solve many issues customers have had with iCal time-zone handling. Then all these events being set on "floating time-zone", onece in a while if there is an international conference call, then it will be easy to set that particular event on a specific time-zone. For me, this happens twice a year.

To cut a long story short : What I would like is using iCal mostly (not exclusively) like writing events on a paper agenda : it stays the same wherever you are, when in fact you just adjust your watch (thus your computer which adjusts itself automatically) to the new time-zone when you land in the new country… Simple !

So two questions :

- How can I have the time-zone switched by default on "floating" for all new events in iCal ?

- How can I change the time-zone to "floating" for all my already existing data (several years...) ?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:30 AM

There are no replies.

Setting all iCal events on "floating" time-zone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.