Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing files - 'iPhoto could not find source file'

Hi,

I have been exporting all my photos from iPhoto (version 9.6.1 (910.42)) to an external hard drive and have successfully exported most of them. I am left with quite a few photos in iPhoto that upon attempting to export I get an error message saying it is unable to find the source file. I have backups of my iPhoto library but unfortunately these have the same situation. I definitely didn't delete the photos. The thumbnails still show as normal but when I click to view them I get the grey exclamation mark instead of the image. Is there anything that can be done in this situation?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:04 AM

6 replies

Oct 9, 2015 2:06 AM in response to LarryHN

This is incredibly frustrating, do you know how this could have happened? It seems that my diligence in doing regular backups has resulted in the loss of these files. My library was over 300GB so I didn't have space to store multiple backups. It would have been impossible to have gone through many thousands of photos before each backup to check if some had mysteriously disappeared. Is there no way to make an image from thumbnail info?

Missing files - 'iPhoto could not find source file'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.