Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro (early 2008) Optical drives not functioning

In my Mac pro, both optical drives have failed at the same time. (superdrive)

They eject any disk inserted and do not report the serial number in disk utility, nor do they appear in Finder

i don't think its the lasers, but suspect the drivers or firmware.

any suggestions gratefully received!

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 5 Tera bites HD; 18 Gb memory

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 12:31 PM

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Check the power and data connections

- Insert an OSX install DVD and boot using the Option key and see if you are offered the install disk to boot from. This will rule out drivers

14 replies

Oct 11, 2015 8:05 AM in response to lllaass

Hi,

Yes, Ive been looking carefully at the system info, and I'm starting to understand how it works. It probably isn't drivers, if, as you say they can work independently of the OS.

The System info reads model number, firmware revision(1.NC), and protocol (ATAPI), but not the serial number of the unit(s).

I wondered if a firmware update may be in order? If so how to achieve it?

If I still lived in the UK, I would have lugged the computer to a MAC store by now for help, but living in Cyprus, life is a little more constrained! Its a PC world here, and I am more than a bit baffled.

Oct 13, 2015 2:11 AM in response to Radio neil

i have now dismantled the drives and manually cleaned the lasers (very, very carefully!) again no change. i'm starting to suspect a faulty cable, as neither machine is reporting its S/N or reading any disc inserted. it's a pretty daunting task to replace the ATA cable because it's somewhat buried and undergoes several twists and turns, but it's the obvious next step, so hey ho!

any helpful comments?

Mac Pro (early 2008) Optical drives not functioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.