Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to have 2 itunes libraries on 1 computer?

I created a new user but when bought a song on 'newuser' it went on the original library??

Are you able to just 'normally' sync your music in either user?

Is there a reason why songs from the original user would appear on the newuser?

I have a 'classic' iPOD (80GB). The newuser has a new iPOD nano 7th generation

My itunes is on a Sony vaio laptop - windows

Thanks

iPad 2, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2015 2:27 PM

A new user profile? If signing in with the same AppleID it may that you have automatic downloads enabled.

The Apple support document How to use multiple iPods with one computer suggests a number of ways for managing the media content on multiple devices. I use the Sync with selected playlists method with a slight twist. Rather than regular playlists I set the grouping field to indicate which users should receive which tracks and create smart playlists based on the content of this field.

e.g.

"Alice's Tracks" is "Grouping contains Alice" + "Kind contains audio"

"Bob's Videos" is "Grouping contains Bob" + "Kind does not contain audio"

Tracks that both Alice & Bob want on their iPods have the grouping set to "Alice/Bob"

etc.

I currently manage our family's five iDevices using this system, each getting a different selection to suit their tastes and the capacity of their device. An advantage of using the grouping field is that it is stored in file tags (for non-wav audio files anyway) so that it is relatively easy to recreate the playlists should the iTunes library get trashed and need rebuilding. Also useful if you move files about manually as playlist membership is preserved when you delete & re-import the tracks.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Dougie31

A new user profile? If signing in with the same AppleID it may that you have automatic downloads enabled.

The Apple support document How to use multiple iPods with one computer suggests a number of ways for managing the media content on multiple devices. I use the Sync with selected playlists method with a slight twist. Rather than regular playlists I set the grouping field to indicate which users should receive which tracks and create smart playlists based on the content of this field.

e.g.

"Alice's Tracks" is "Grouping contains Alice" + "Kind contains audio"

"Bob's Videos" is "Grouping contains Bob" + "Kind does not contain audio"

Tracks that both Alice & Bob want on their iPods have the grouping set to "Alice/Bob"

etc.

I currently manage our family's five iDevices using this system, each getting a different selection to suit their tastes and the capacity of their device. An advantage of using the grouping field is that it is stored in file tags (for non-wav audio files anyway) so that it is relatively easy to recreate the playlists should the iTunes library get trashed and need rebuilding. Also useful if you move files about manually as playlist membership is preserved when you delete & re-import the tracks.

tt2

Best way to have 2 itunes libraries on 1 computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.