Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes (El Capitan) not syncing to iCloud on one Mac

hi folks,

i have different types of iCloud Devices in use. iPhones, iPads, iMacs, Macbook and an MacPro (2009).

All devices are on latest OS Versions.

The new notes app is not syncing on the MacPro. All other devices are syncing fine with iCloud.

(the MacPro is used as fileserver, serverApp is installed)

I have tried to clear caches, enable/disable Notes in iCloud on that Mac and delete the "com.apple.groupcontainer.notes" thing.

nothings helps :-(

any ideas???

thank you

MacPro-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:56 AM

40 replies

Jan 18, 2017 8:11 AM in response to Shareef Yousef

The only things I can suggest to check are (and forgive me if these are obvious):

• Make sure the notes you are editing/creating on your iPhone are in the iCloud folder not in your iPhone folder so that they are being shared with iCloud.
  • Refresh the iCloud.com Notes page to bring in any changes from other devices.
  • (And the usual: switch off Notes from Settings>iCloud; power down iPhone: then switch both back on.)

Jan 18, 2017 7:53 AM in response to Marc Schulz

I have found that, whilst Notes on my MacPro no longer syncs with anything, my iPhone can still sync with iCloud.com. Login at www.icloud.com

Notes, I think, is limited to the OS[s] you happen to be using and the potential differences between them. On my Mac, I'm still on Yosemite (due to certain old third-party hardware), but iCloud.com is always compatible. And using Notes from iCloud.com instead of directly from your MacPro Notes app makes little difference—the interface is the same—you just have to do it through a browser instead.

Copy any Mac Notes 'notes' to iCloud.com Notes 'notes' and watch in childlike awe as the notes appears in iPhone Notes.

Jan 18, 2017 8:14 AM in response to andrew_smith

Tried it all. Logs show that it's a server side issue that Apple is ignorantly ignoring!

artial error for modify operation <CKModifyRecordsOperation FD71E31BFED3A049 isFinished=1 duration=0.3508250117301941 databaseScope=Private>: <CKError 0x6080004405d0: "Partial Failure" (2/1011); "Failed to modify some records"; partial errors: {

E235A11D-DF69-4CE4-AE80-BB1473D1C13B:(Notes:__defaultOwner__) = <CKError 0x600000454bb0: "Unknown Item" (11/2003); "Parent record <CKRecordID: 0x7ff742280910; recordName=25D607FD-D2C1-4C56-8CF6-A4402D1FC3CC, zoneID=Notes:__defaultOwner__> does not exist on the server">

E024125D-57AE-4AF9-8E27-56835979F4BD:(Notes:__defaultOwner__) = <CKError 0x600000454220: "Unknown Item" (11/2003); "Parent record <CKRecordID: 0x7ff742290e50; recordName=F3440021-A3BE-41E4-90BF-F5019EBBC907, zoneID=Notes:__defaultOwner__> does not exist on the server">

... 6 "Batch Request Failed" CKError's omited ...

}>

Oct 9, 2015 11:58 AM in response to Marc Schulz

I have a similar problem only with pages and keynote-files created on icloud drive on my Mac but not visible there when I go to look on my Macbook air-both devices running El Capitan and connected to icloud drive through fast broadband connection-very unreliable way of sharing files at present and not found a solution other than time though this is not helpful when dealing with work issues!

Nov 1, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Marc Schulz

I have the same issue.

I called apple support and after wasting an hour and a half on english lessons with the lovely, but helpless lady on the phone I have done some experimentation and I believe I have identified the issue:

Notes is broken - there are now two versions of the notes data:

1. One for the account you are logged into as your primary account, and that should synchronise with all other devices logged in with the same primary account. 2. The other is for any devices logged in with an appleID as one of the Secondary Accounts. This will sync - but only with other devices using it as a secondary Account.

So - in a hypothetical family where there is Dad, Mum and Child - each of whom have, for instance, a Computer running El Capitan, an iPad and an iPhone both running 9.1 the following will occur:

Dad updates or creates a note on his account on one of the devices which have him logged into "Dad" as his primary account - he will see this on all his devices but no one else will see the update as they will have Dad as one of their secondary accounts.

Dad updates or creates a note on Mum's notes on one of Dad's devices. He is logged into Mum as a secondary account. Dad and Child will be able to see this update/new note as their secondary accounts will synch, but Mum won't see this as it was not made on her primary account, nor will she see Dad's update from above, as that was done on Dad's primary account, and she is logged in as a secondary account.

Child will only see a note updated on Mum's account that Dad did, or a note updated on Dad's account that Mum did (as these were both secondary accounts and all secondary accounts sync with each other - but Child will not see anything that anyone else does on their Primary Account (as they are logged in as Child as their primary account.

This is clearly nuts - but I couldn't get this message through the lady on the phone nor to Apple - who seem to make it very hard to provide feedback or bugs these days. Their best advice was to delete the accounts and re-sync which a) didn't work and b) took forever to re-synchronise the mail account.

BAD APPLE - not that they listen to these forums - where we understand their software better than they do, it would appear.

Sorry that this is not a fix - which would require some Quality Control at Apple.

It only seems to be an issue if you have multiple accounts (e.g. a family) and that you log into yourself for your devices, as do the rest of the family - which ironically is precisely what apple suggest that you do...

Apple is becoming more like Microsoft every day - the focus is on selling you iTunes and other material, not making their software "just work" like they used to be before Steve Jobs left. RIP (although I fear he would be turning in his grave)

C&K

Notes (El Capitan) not syncing to iCloud on one Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.