Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Server 5.0.4 upgrade, web server and profile manager offline.

I upgraded the server manager to 5.04 yesterday AM and since then have been unable to get to either the server website or the profile manager.

i am seeing

[Thu Oct 08 08:23:07.089680 2015] [core:notice] [pid 27230] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/sbin/httpd -D FOREGROUND -f /Library/Server/Web/Config/apache2/httpd_server_app.conf -E /var/log/apache2/error_log -D WEBSERVICE_ON'

[Thu Oct 08 08:23:10.332264 2015] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 27230] AH00169: caught SIGTERM, shutting down

Repeated in the logs.

If whilst on the local machine, i go to http://localhost or http://server.domain.tld in a web browser, it serves up "it works!" even when the web service is switched off (i guess that shows that the naked apache is ok) - I am also seeing this...

Oct 8 12:22:45 machine com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.serviceproxy[35444]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Oct 8 12:22:45 machine com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.serviceproxy): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Oct 8 12:22:55 machine com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.serviceproxy[35450]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Oct 8 12:22:55 machine com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.serviceproxy): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Oct 8 12:23:06 machine com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.serviceproxy[35469]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Oct 8 12:23:06 machine com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.serviceproxy): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Given that the proxy is not able to load, i am assuming that is that is why everything has stopped working, i have removed all "user" sites trying to get the proxy working again and have reset the web services with

"

sudo serveradmin command web:command=restoreFactorySettings"

And have found Apache does not work after server 5.0.3 upgrade - which looks similar to my issue, i have hard coded the paths to the certs in the files (after making a backup).

I cannot restart the machine till after the working day as this is in production, i really did not expect a server.app update to cause our server to throw a wobbly in this way. I will try it with the edited paths in the proxy config, then i will replace the server.app if that does not work. Failing all that, if anyone has any pointers, i would be very grateful indeed.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Set up as a server and OD master.

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 11:43 AM

I had this problem too. My setup is very very simple: just one site for internal use. I can tell you I banged my head a LOT on this issue.

Some things you need to know:

- once you install the server app, the config files are no longer at /etc/apache2. The server app overrides this and creates a brand new set of files, located at /Library/Server/Web/Config.

- the server app uses a proxy system to listen to outside ports and redirect everything to internal ports 80->34580 and 443->34543.

Now the log says com.apple.serviceproxy cannot start: it keeps quitting all the time. Since the entire web service relies on this proxy service, no web site is available...

Here's how I diagnosed and fixed my problem. Note that I'm using TextWrangler (great tool and free) to edit the files. You can use the terminal to navigate an manipulate the files using tools like vi or nano. Just don't use Text Edit as the config files are sensible to line endings and Text Edit tends to modify them.

1. open Console, expand /var/log and then apache2

2. check the log for service_proxy_error.log. I had errors saying "could not bind to address [::]:8443" and "could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:8443". You might have different errors, just jot down the port number giving you errors.

3. Stop the web service in the Server app. No need to stop other services.

4. Navigate to /Library/Server/Web/Config/Proxy. (in the Finder, use the "Go to folder" option in the "Go" menu and type "/Library" to open that otherwise not accessible folder)

6. Duplicate apache_serviceproxy.conf and rename it apache_serviceproxy.conf_backup - this is important so you can revert to the original config. You'll have to authenticate with an admin user/password to do this.

7. Drag apache_serviceproxy.conf to your desktop (it will be copied automatically since the original folder is locked). This will allow you to modify it and be able to save it. Open it with TextWrangler.

8. At the top of that file, you'll see a bunch of "listen" lines like:

listen 80
listen 443
listen 8008
listen 8800
listen 8443
listen 8843

9. Now change the line matching the port number you had an error on by adding the local address before the port. Mine was 8443, so I changed it to:

listen 80
listen 443
listen 8008
listen 8800
listen 127.0.0.1:8443
listen 8843

10. Save the file, drag it to replace the original (type an admin password).

11. In server app. start the service again. Watch the log to see if you have any more errors. Open your web browser and type your address (make sure you reload in case an error page was cached by your browser).

Please keep in touch and let me know if this solution works for you or not. I'm really curious to see if this solves someone else's problems.

I'm not an expert with Apache or OS X and I'm not sure exactly how all the pieces of this proxy puzzle work together, but I am a software developer myself and a network guy, so I was guided by my knowledge and experience to find this.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2015 11:43 AM in response to Ashley Drees

I had this problem too. My setup is very very simple: just one site for internal use. I can tell you I banged my head a LOT on this issue.

Some things you need to know:

- once you install the server app, the config files are no longer at /etc/apache2. The server app overrides this and creates a brand new set of files, located at /Library/Server/Web/Config.

- the server app uses a proxy system to listen to outside ports and redirect everything to internal ports 80->34580 and 443->34543.

Now the log says com.apple.serviceproxy cannot start: it keeps quitting all the time. Since the entire web service relies on this proxy service, no web site is available...

Here's how I diagnosed and fixed my problem. Note that I'm using TextWrangler (great tool and free) to edit the files. You can use the terminal to navigate an manipulate the files using tools like vi or nano. Just don't use Text Edit as the config files are sensible to line endings and Text Edit tends to modify them.

1. open Console, expand /var/log and then apache2

2. check the log for service_proxy_error.log. I had errors saying "could not bind to address [::]:8443" and "could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:8443". You might have different errors, just jot down the port number giving you errors.

3. Stop the web service in the Server app. No need to stop other services.

4. Navigate to /Library/Server/Web/Config/Proxy. (in the Finder, use the "Go to folder" option in the "Go" menu and type "/Library" to open that otherwise not accessible folder)

6. Duplicate apache_serviceproxy.conf and rename it apache_serviceproxy.conf_backup - this is important so you can revert to the original config. You'll have to authenticate with an admin user/password to do this.

7. Drag apache_serviceproxy.conf to your desktop (it will be copied automatically since the original folder is locked). This will allow you to modify it and be able to save it. Open it with TextWrangler.

8. At the top of that file, you'll see a bunch of "listen" lines like:

listen 80
listen 443
listen 8008
listen 8800
listen 8443
listen 8843

9. Now change the line matching the port number you had an error on by adding the local address before the port. Mine was 8443, so I changed it to:

listen 80
listen 443
listen 8008
listen 8800
listen 127.0.0.1:8443
listen 8843

10. Save the file, drag it to replace the original (type an admin password).

11. In server app. start the service again. Watch the log to see if you have any more errors. Open your web browser and type your address (make sure you reload in case an error page was cached by your browser).

Please keep in touch and let me know if this solution works for you or not. I'm really curious to see if this solves someone else's problems.

I'm not an expert with Apache or OS X and I'm not sure exactly how all the pieces of this proxy puzzle work together, but I am a software developer myself and a network guy, so I was guided by my knowledge and experience to find this.

After Server 5.0.4 upgrade, web server and profile manager offline.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.