Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Boot Up and Memory

Mac Pro 1.1

I have been having Freezing and Boot Up problems. Yesterday I appeared to have got it working. I had installed Snow Leopard onto two separate drives and it would happily Boot Up onto either of them. I then opened iphoto and created a slide show with music and left it running for a couple of hours - it was fine, but an hour later it had frozen and I had to switch it off. It seems as though the Boot Up problem only occurs after a crash, Any ideas?

I have read that corrupted memory can influence Boot Up and that even changing the order may help.

I have 4 X 1Gb sticks and 4 X 512Mb sticks. What is the minimum memory required i.e can I remove all the sticks and then just put in 1 X 512 Mb in order to check it or does it have to be a pair ( 1 on each riser ), and could I use a 1GB and a 512Mb as a pair?

Thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 6:43 AM

2 replies

Oct 8, 2015 6:56 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

You model Mac requires memory be installed in matched pairs. Also it appears that 2 GB is the min required. See:

Mac Pro (Mid 2012 and earlier): How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

The FB-DIMM memory in the 2006-2008 run hot and tend to fail with time.

Use of 512 MB sticks is not worth the power they require.

Try running Apple Hardware test

Using Apple Hardware Test

You will need a disk from the original install disks.

If you can boot to the OSX open System Profiler

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203001

and look at the Memory section. The Mac cam with ECC memory and there should be an OK by each stick. That page is only updated when you open System Profiler. So y have to close it and open it again.

No Boot Up and Memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.