Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s randomly shuts down

I got the 6s on Sept. 25 and haven't had any issues until this morning. My phone apparently shut off at some point during the middle of the night. It was plugged into the charger. When I managed to get it booted back up, the battery was fully charged, so that clearly wasn't the issue. I've noticed my phone does seem to feel hot sometimes after a while of use, but overheating shouldn't have been the problem either because it was the middle of the night when I was asleep and not using the phone. Lovely since I use the alarm on the phone as my morning alarm for work! Has anyone else had this issue or heard if Apple has addressed anything like this?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 8:51 AM

I have a similar issue. Twice now I have woken up in the morning and the phone is "off" requiring a restart. Today my phone randomly did this while not charging. Was in my pocket and when I took it out it wouldn't wake up. Required a restart. I even tried to ping my phone with my Apple Watch (which was still connected to the phone meaning the phone was technically on) to no avail. I haven't noticed the phone overheating as I have a case so I don't generally feel the temperature of the phone. Not sure what's going on here.

Have also noticed other issues including some lagging when I unlock the phone and there is an already opened 3rd party app. Doesn't happen when it unlocks to the home screen or apple apps.

Just FYI I have an iPhone 6S Plus 128gb Verizon and it is a clean install phone running 9.0.2.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2015 8:51 AM in response to lilbit9984

I have a similar issue. Twice now I have woken up in the morning and the phone is "off" requiring a restart. Today my phone randomly did this while not charging. Was in my pocket and when I took it out it wouldn't wake up. Required a restart. I even tried to ping my phone with my Apple Watch (which was still connected to the phone meaning the phone was technically on) to no avail. I haven't noticed the phone overheating as I have a case so I don't generally feel the temperature of the phone. Not sure what's going on here.

Have also noticed other issues including some lagging when I unlock the phone and there is an already opened 3rd party app. Doesn't happen when it unlocks to the home screen or apple apps.

Just FYI I have an iPhone 6S Plus 128gb Verizon and it is a clean install phone running 9.0.2.

Oct 10, 2015 9:01 AM in response to lilbit9984

I have the same issue happened twice in 24 hours, seems like a major apple issue. I called apple support and they told me to send it back and I could have a new one sent to me, I asked why I couldn't take it into a shop and get it changed and they said that they've changed their policy and Internet orders from Apple can only be changed via post - this would mean I could be without a phone for 7 days which is useless. I was then told that I can just return it for a refund and buy a new one from the apple shop - Apple have become a bunch of cow boys, if I wanted service like this I would have purchased a samsung android phone.

Im very annoyed with Apple customer service - they're useless

Oct 11, 2015 8:37 PM in response to lilbit9984

If you restored from an itunes backup or icloud backup and on ios 9.0.2 then it could be causing the issue. I had similar issue and my phone iphone 6s plus 64gb on at&t kept shutting down each day for two days after upgrading to ios 9.0.2. Apple advised me to do the following and it fixed the issue. You will have to go through the pain of installing all the apps you need and redo all the settings.

1. Settings --> Reset --> Erase all data

2. Restore to factory settings

3. Set up as new iphone

Nov 21, 2016 8:02 AM in response to lilbit9984

Hi

There is an iPhone 6s Program for Unexpected Shutdown Issues.

The program covers iPhone 6s devices within a limited serial number range that were manufactured between September and October 2015.

Apple advises that, if you have experienced the issue, you should visit an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorised Service Provider to have your iPhone examined and the serial number checked to confirm your eligibility for a battery replacement, free of charge.

More information and instructions:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

iPhone 6s randomly shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.