Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I clean inside an old original Apple wired keyboard

I recently purchased an older Apple wired keyboard, and though the exterior is very clean, I would love to removed the clear plastic base to clean down in there too. But I'm trepidacious, after having almost ruined an even older IBM-type keyboard by removing keys, and having great problems coaxing them back into their correct positions.

Ca I unscrew the three tiny screws seemingly holding the bottom to the keys and clean away, without fear? Would the serial number of this unit help?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 3:19 AM

If very much depends on the model number. Apple has sold a variety of wired boards over the years.

Would the serial number of this unit help?

No, but the model number will. Look on the bottom or back panel for a model number; it will start with either "M" or "A" followed by a four-digit number. Example: M7803

If it is USB, it is probably the Apple Pro Keyboard M7803. Instructions for take-apaprt and cleaning are here:

http://technology.niagarac.on.ca/staff/bgracey/prokeyboardrepair.html#toc

If it is not that model, once you have the model number you can also search YouTube for video tutorials.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2015 3:19 AM in response to cafox513

If very much depends on the model number. Apple has sold a variety of wired boards over the years.

Would the serial number of this unit help?

No, but the model number will. Look on the bottom or back panel for a model number; it will start with either "M" or "A" followed by a four-digit number. Example: M7803

If it is USB, it is probably the Apple Pro Keyboard M7803. Instructions for take-apaprt and cleaning are here:

http://technology.niagarac.on.ca/staff/bgracey/prokeyboardrepair.html#toc

If it is not that model, once you have the model number you can also search YouTube for video tutorials.

How can I clean inside an old original Apple wired keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.