Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

extra media beyond clip edges

When inserting a transaction between two clips I receive mostly the next text: There is not enough extra media beyond clip edges to create the transition.

When I agree with this I can go on, but I don't know what it means. Who can inform me about this?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 2:59 AM

When the transition is created it extends the media on either side of the edit point to create an overlap.

User uploaded file

If there isn't enough media, the transition cannot be created without shortened the clips so they can overlap

User uploaded file

If you agree to the dialog, the clips are shortened, and the project will consequently be shortened as well.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 2:59 AM in response to BoerMaar

When the transition is created it extends the media on either side of the edit point to create an overlap.

User uploaded file

If there isn't enough media, the transition cannot be created without shortened the clips so they can overlap

User uploaded file

If you agree to the dialog, the clips are shortened, and the project will consequently be shortened as well.

Oct 13, 2015 2:59 AM in response to BoerMaar

When you create a transition from clip A to clip B, it uses extra frames after the end of clip A and before the start of B to make that transition.

These extra frames are referred to as "handles". If, for example, you have all of clip A in the timeline, there are no extra frames to use, and you get this warning; If clip A lasts, say, 20 second but you only use the first 16 seconds, you have extra 4 seconds at the end.

Maybe a picture or two can help.

Here are clips A and B on the timeline:

User uploaded file

The yellow line is an edit point, the place where you would place a transition from A to B.

If you double-click the edit point, you will see what is called the "precision editor" - it shows clips A and B with A above and B below.

It also shows that both clips have more frames that I am not using in my edit - these are the "handles".

User uploaded file

Some of these frames will be used, for example, to cross dissolve from A to B:

User uploaded file

See how frames from A *after the edit point* are being used in the transition? Without the handles, this can't be done.

Aug 21, 2016 3:24 PM in response to Montevale101

The lengths of the clip don't matter at all. What matters if how much extra material you have to create the overlap. If you put all the media in the project then there is nothing extra to create the overlap. If FCP creates space by shortening the project for the transition, it makes just enough space for the one second transition. If you you need more space you have to shorten the clips further by ripple trimming them in the timeline. Use the tabs at the bar at the top of the transition to trim the clips. You might have to zoom into the transition to see the tabs.

Aug 21, 2016 4:39 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, ok, not sure I follow...

Here is the issue I'm having:

There are two 30 seconds materials each (I call them clips?) both of them are or on the primary story line side by side.User uploaded file

I click on the the Cross Dissolve transition and drag it over to place between the clips.

(The default transition is 1sec time)

when I release the mouse button, attempting to drop the transition between the clips

I get this message:

User uploaded file

if I press "Cancel" button, well of course nothing happens and i'm back to square one.

If I press on the blue button "Create Transition" the Cross Dissolve of 1 second is inserted between the clips... BUT I can not increase the duration of the transition and can only make it shorter... what is the catch here? What am I missing?

Aug 21, 2016 4:47 PM in response to Montevale101

I understand all that. Watch the project closely as you click Create Transition. The application creates the transition by shortening the project. It does that by trimming from the two clips the media it needs to overlap the clips to make a one second transition, and only that much. You have no more additional trimmed media to overlap, because only enough was trimmed from the clips to make one second. If you want to make the transition longer you have to trim more from the clips. Open the Precision Editor to see what's going on.

Aug 21, 2016 5:09 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

ok, yes I did that and by slip trimming managed to increase the duration...

this is awkward though... and feels like a glitch, because sometimes when I hover over the clips it gives me a placeholder where the transition will land, in this case I was getting that "not enough extra media" message.

A transition between the clips should be an obvious thing.

Thanks for your help Tom.

extra media beyond clip edges

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.