Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get FCPX to render through Compressor?

I have used FCP for many years and I have had an iphone since the first one. I have the iPhone 6+S and the latest FCPX and so I thought I would import and retime a slow motion video shot on my iphone. It is about 2 minutes long after being retimed. FCPX has the Compressor selection on the File menu in gray and no clue as to why I can't send it to Compressor. Any ideas? I really want to get the video rendered but FCPX seems to refuse to do it. I am using my MacBook Pro 16 gb ram - 1 TB retina etc.

Thanks

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 6:12 AM

29 replies

Oct 8, 2015 10:51 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I do not see one. IN the upper left hand of the video icon is a starburst symbol. The video clip is in the time line and plays fine. I discovered that when FCPX imports from the iphone it really does not import but it lets you see it and use it like it is an external drive which is worthless for actually editing. So I copied the file to my hard drive and then imported it so I can use it without the iphone attached. The videos that are showing up from when I hooked up the iphone are showing a little video camera in the center of the bottom of their icon.

I hope this helps - I really would like to edit and export this video. All of my editing since 2004 has been importing directly from my Canon video cameras so this is new territory for me. But it only seemed logical that Apple would have made it easy to do.

Thanks

George

Oct 8, 2015 11:12 AM in response to gmizzell

gmizzell wrote:

I discovered that when FCPX imports from the iphone it really does not import but it lets you see it and use it like it is an external drive which is worthless for actually editing.

No. FCP does ingest the files when it imports from an iPhone. If you chose optimize in the import dialog, you have to let the transcoding complete (as with any camera.)

Russ

Oct 8, 2015 11:30 AM in response to gmizzell

You're not completing the import process. The media has to be copied to the designated location. That doesn't happen instantly. You can work on the material, edit, whatever, but you must want for the import process to complete. While you're editing and working with the media that hasn't been fully imported, the import process stops. Watch what's going on the background task window. Video files are very large. USB connections from the camera re very slow. Interrupting the process slows it down further. You need to ensure that everything is imported correctly and completely into the correct location used by the application before you can export.

Oct 8, 2015 11:41 AM in response to gmizzell

YYou copied the file from your phone to the desktop? How exactly did you do that? That seems like a really small video file, maybe it's really short. Can you open it in the QT player? From all descriptions it seems the file isn't importing properly. Screenshots of what's hapieninginvrge browser and information about the clips might help. Basically you can't export until the files are imported, and it doesn't sound as if they are. Have you used reveal in finder to see where the files are?

Oct 8, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

TThanks for helping me think this through. I copied the file to the desktop by plugging it in to my macbook Pro and clicking on it in the desktop and copying the file to the desktop. It is only a 2 minute long video clip at 720 in 240 fPS mode on the iPhone. Then in FCPX I imported media and navigated to the desktop and selected it

How do I get FCPX to render through Compressor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.